Woman perishes in house fire

August 01, 2003


Staff Writer

LANCASTER - A Garrard County woman died in a house fire Saturday morning.

Jeanne Gertrude Breier, 76, of 2760 Ballard Road was pronounced dead at 3:20 a.m. at her home. Garrard County Coroner Daryl Hodge ruled the cause of death as smoke and soot inhalation. She had few serious burns.

"The burns were not severe to cause death," he said.

Hodge said the fire started when Breier was smoking in bed. The fire could have smoldered in the mattress for a while before it spread.

Breier's husband, John, tried to put the fire out using an extendable shower head in the bathroom but was unsuccessful. He was treated at the scene and later went to a hospital with family for additional treatment.


Hodge said the couple's son, John N. Breier, lives next door and put in a call to the Camp Dick Fire Department about 2:20 a.m.

The fire was mainly contained to the bedroom, but other rooms sustained smoke and water damage.

Breier was a homemaker and a member of St. Williams Catholic Church.

Mike Spellacy, a state police fire investigator with the Richmond post, was involved in the investigation.|None***

Central Kentucky News Articles