Harrodsburg resident wants city to repair property damage

August 13, 2003|ANN R. HARNEY

HARRODSBURG - Major work done to run a new sewer line in the southern section of the city has left one resident deeply dissatisfied.

Bill Patrick spoke to the Harrodsburg City Commission Tuesday night to say he signed a contract with the city in May 2000 to allow the line to go through his property and the city promised to put the property back the way it was before construction began.

Patrick said he has about $40,000 damage to his property and repeated contacts with GRW, the engineering firm that designed the project, and Haydon Brothers of Springfield, the construction contractor, had brought no improvements.

The two companies sat down with Patrick June 11 and promised the repairs to his river bank and swimming pool would be completed by the end of June, Patrick said. He said Laura Gilkerson of GRW promised weekly calls to check on the progress of the repairs and she has called once. No improvements have been made; in fact, he said, the situation is worse.


"After the meeting they did more damage," he said. Mayor Lonnie Campbell and City Administrative Officer have helped, Patrick said, but there still is no improvement and this is the second summer he has not been able to use his swimming pool, which, he said, is in the easement. The river bank needs 15 loads of rock and eight to nine loads of soil to put it back the way it was.

Patrick said he has lost 5 to 6 feet of river bank and, "Every time it rains, it gets worse." Campbell told him the city still owes Haydon Brothers money for the work done on the project, but the city won't pay the company until claims like Patrick's are settled.

The mayor is scheduled to meet with the company today and let Patrick know when company officials arrive. The mayor said he had received a letter from the company insuring the project, but it gave little hope of a solution. During the meeting he said repeated calls to the insurance company had not resulted in any progress.

Patrick, an attorney understood the mayor, but he repeated, "It's been too long."

Asked after the meeting if he was going to sue the city, Patrick said he would wait and see what today's meeting accomplished and the insurance company's reply before he took legal action.

Central Kentucky News Articles