Man charged in assault with can of soup

August 22, 2003|EMILY BURTON

WAYNESBURG - A Kings Mountain man is charged with assault for allegedly throwing a can of soup at a Waynesburg businessman, splitting his head open.

Former grocery store owner Lloyd Ruckel, 67, was treated Tuesday night for a head injury sustained during an alleged attack by 19-year-old Shannon Snow.

Snow has been charged by state police with fourth-degree assault stemming from the incident and with driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, first-degree fleeing and evading police, first-degree wanton endangerment and violation of a domestic violence order.

"I was just waiting at a pump to get fuel, on a farm tractor, and this guy comes out of the store and picked at me," Ruckel said today.


"He said, 'Are you in a hurry?', and I said, well, I guess I was. I had been waiting about five minutes," said Ruckel.

As Ruckel began to get off the tractor, Snow allegedly threw a can of soup at him, knocking him out. Ruckel said he didn't know what was happening until he awoke in an ambulance.

He received about 10 stitches and was later released from the hospital.

"Where I made the mistake was getting off the tractor," Ruckel said.

Snow fled in his vehicle when Trooper Mark Young attempted to serve a warrant on him for a domestic violence violation.

Snow allegedly led police at speeds topping 120 mph on Tick Ridge Road to U.S. 27. As the pursuit neared Stanford, Lincoln County Deputy Sheriff Ron Luster drove in front of Snow's vehicle.

"It started several miles south, and ended in the city limits when his vehicle struck a deputy's," said Sheriff Shelby Lakes.

"It's messed up, the passenger side doors will need to be replaced."

State police Lt. M.J. Harrison, supervising officer, said Snow ended the chase after ramming Luster's vehicle several times and locking the two together.

Snow fled on foot but was captured. No police officers were injured during the chase.

Central Kentucky News Articles