Danville girls edge Boyle 3-2

Boyle boys claim 3-1 win over Ads

September 07, 2003|JILL ERWIN

Boyle County and Danville now have something tangible to show for their soccer battles Saturday.

The Danville girls and Boyle County boys won the first-ever Constitution Cup matchups Saturday night at Boyle. The Danville girls defeated Boyle 3-2 in the opener, and the Boyle boys won 3-1 over Danville in the second game.

Each team now holds the cup until next year's game, when the two schools will once again compete for the cup.


In the girls' game, adjustments were the name of the game for Danville.

The Admirals (5-2) changed their offensive attack and their intensity in the second half, and those changes paid off with two goals and a 3-2 win over Boyle (1-2-2).


Krystal Jackson's goal off a rebound was the game-winner with less than two minutes to play.

"We made a change up top with the way we were approaching our target players," Danville coach Marty Sullivan said.

"Krystal will go after anything, anytime, anywhere and we haven't seen anybody yet that can keep up with her. Alex (Meckes) played great up top as well so they had to focus on two or three different people instead of just Krystal."

It capped off a furious second half in which Danville outshot the Rebels 10-5.

Both of Jackson's goals came after halftime, with her first tying the game at 2. Caroline Crowley sent a ball long down the middle of the field, and Jackson split two defenders to run onto it. Boyle goalkeeper Tiffany Webb came out after the ball and deflected it. Jackson's shot went off the right post, but she followed with the equalizer in the 63rd minute.

That set the stage for her game-winner in the 78th minute. Webb came out after another ball, but the ball deflected to Jackson. She sidestepped C.C. Leffew and put it into the open net.

Boyle coach Brian Deem said he was displeased with his team's effort in the second half, and said the Rebels will have to improve on that if they hope to win many more games this season.

"We're a young team that doesn't know how to win big games," Deem said. "To learn how to win big games, you have to lose big games. We got our butts kicked in the second half. Danville is the better team and unless we get our heads on straight and refocus, it's going to be a long year for us. We've got to learn to play 80 minutes of soccer and not just 40."

The first half was dominated by Boyle, which seemed a step quicker and a pass ahead of the Admirals. Boyle outshot Danville 8-4 in the first half and grabbed the lead just over a minute into the contest.

Freshman Leah Missik put in the first goal of the game off a Sarah Hall assist just 1:15 into the game. The shot went off Danville keeper Liz Ruth's arms and into the right side of the net.

The Admirals evened it up when Beth Gooch scored off a rebound of a Jackson shot less than eight minutes into the game.

Boyle scored the final goal of the first half on a Jenni Gramstad goal on a Lydia Hignite assist.


Experience paid off for Boyle (4-2) in its victory over Danville (1-5).

Upperclassmen accounted for all three of the Rebels' goals as senior Roland Achenjang had a goal and an assist and senior Nick Farmwald and junior Joe Monterio each scored once.

"Those upperclassmen are the reason we're out of our tailspin," Boyle coach Greg Conley said. "We'd lost two games in a row, there was some finger-pointing going on, but we had a roundtable discussion today to air it all out. The seniors met afterward, and that's why we're sitting on a 3-1 victory.

"Danville played an absolutely wonderful game. I have a lot of respect for those kids and they're much better than their record indicates."

Boyle grabbed a 1-0 lead in the 15th minute on Achenjang's unassisted goal to the left side.

That score remained until the 52nd minute when Monterio put in a goal, and Farmwald followed less than four minutes later to give Boyle a 3-0 lead.

Danville's young squad never gave up, but didn't have the game experience to make a difference in the matchup.

Danville coach Gary Reynolds said he was pleased with how his team played, and said the Admirals are starting to come together as a team.

"There's no doubt this team was ready to play," Reynolds said. "Boyle was just too much for us tonight.

"These kids had their heart in it all the way, and I'm not disappointed in the way they played at all. From start to finish, I'm tickled with the effort from these kids."

Senior goalkeeper Evan Rice of Boyle allowed just one Danville goal, a penalty kick by Miguel Magana in the 57th minute after he was tripped in the box.

Central Kentucky News Articles