This isn't the first incident where a British Prime Minister was the target of an e-attack. The first time was in the 1990s with the Fu Manchu virus attack on former Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher. For more details, visit http://asia.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=internetNews&storyID=3389311.
* A Singapore-made operating system is scheduled to be launched some time this month. The OS, called MXI (MXI stands for Motion eXperience Interface), is said to be able to run programs designed for other OS platforms such as Windows, Linux and Palm. There also will be an OS released for wireless devices called Radixs MXI. Learn more at www.pdacortex.com/mxi_os.htm, www.radixs.com or www.intramedia.com.sg/.
* The Desktop Linux Consortium, made up of Hewlett-Packard and Lycoris, have scheduled a Desktop Linux Conference set for Nov. 10. The team paired up after withdrawing from the Desktop Linux Summit - the Lindows.com desktop Linux conference held early this year - claiming the organizer hogged the spotlight. Read more at http://news.com.com/2100-1016_3-5071337.html?tag=fd_top.
* New components are expected to be added to the next Notes office software. The IBM company division plans to add instant messaging and Internet search capabilities to their product. Learn more at http://news.com.com/2100-1012_3-5071371.html?tag=fd_top.
* Network Solutions, a domain name registrant, is offering a new service called Next Registration Rights that allows a person to automatically be granted registration of a domain name during the subscription period. Learn more at https://www.nextregistrationrights.com.
* SCO is at it again. This time, the company is going after commercial Linux users and actively are pursuing the companies and sending out invoices for payment. Read more at http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104_2-5070583.html.
How to quickly load the Internet Explorer browser
This tip will allow a computer users to run the Internet Explorer browser without loading its default home page.
1. Click on Start and select Run from the Start menu.
2. Type IExplore -NoHome in the Run dialog box and then click OK. Note: Be sure to leave a space between IExplore and -NoHome. The command is not case sensitive.
The browser will load quickly but with a blank page for you to view. Use the browser's menus and toolbars to proceed with whatever you wish to use it for.
MSN Live online events
Sept. 8: Chat with "Kate Remembered" author A. Scott Berg at 7 p.m. His New York Times best-seller was written about Kate Hepburn. Go to http://chat.msn.com/msnlive_feature.msnw?id=artist/ascottberg.
E-mail me at email@example.com; fax me at (859) 236-9566; or write me snail-mail at The Advocate-Messenger, P.O. Box 149, Danville, Ky. 40423-0149.