Mercer shooting leaves one dead, two injured

September 09, 2003|ANN R. HARNEY

HARRODSBURG - A man is dead after he shot and wounded his estranged wife and another man Monday afternoon at Stone Manor Motel on South College Street.

Scott Clark, 33, of Lawrenceburg was dead at the scene and, Melissa Clark, also of Lawrenceburg, is in serious condition at the University of Kentucky Medical Center where she was airlifted Monday afternoon. Thomas Hurst II, 35, was treated at James B. Haggin Memorial Hospital and released, according to police.

It is still in the early stages of the investigation, police say, but they believe Scott Clark followed his estranged wife to the motel where she was visiting Hurst, who was staying in Room 108.

Clark shot both of them and then turned the gun on himself.

Mercer County Coroner C. David "Sonny" Ransdell said Clark died of a single gunshot wound to his chest. He was pronounced dead at 1:15 p.m. An autopsy is being performed today at the medical examiner's office in Frankfort, Ransdell said.


Harrodsburg Detective Sgt. Garry Bradshaw said today that Hurst escaped the room and ran to the motel office to call police. The call came in to Central Dispatch at 12:38 p.m., Police Chief Ernie Kelty said. Bradshaw said he does not have Melissa Clark's age and has not been able to speak to her.

Kelty, who briefed reporters at the scene, said Melissa Clark was shot at least three times and Hurst once.

Referring to Melissa Clark, Kelty said she had been at the motel for less than a minute when her estranged husband drove up.

Allen Maddox, who was staying just a few rooms from 108, said he heard only one shot, and when he came out of his room, he saw Melissa Clark come out of the room and collapse on the sidewalk. He described her as having a shoulder wound with blood down one side of her body.

Maddox said he too went to the office, but emergency officials already had been called. Maddox said there was a small child at the scene. Bradshaw said the child was the Clarks' five-year-old son and he witnessed the shootings.

Police hauled away a red van and a red SUV. Bradshaw said Hurst did not have a car, and the Clarks arrived separately in the two red vehicles.

Motel manager Nile Bhavsar, who has worked at the motel almost a year, said he did not hear any gunshots. He was only notified of the violence when men came to the office to call police.

Both Melissa Clark and Hurst were transported to the Harrodsburg hospital by Mercer County Emergency Medical Service and Melissa Clark was airlifted from there.

Bradshaw was assisted by several Harrodsburg police officers. Also present at the scene were Commonwealth's Attorney Richard Bottoms and Commonwealth's Detective Les Williams.

Central Kentucky News Articles