Missik has three goals in Boyle's 7-0 win over Lincoln

September 10, 2003|JILL ERWIN

STANFORD - Boyle County is a team overrun with freshmen and Tuesday against Lincoln County, the youngsters got to show what they could do.

Boyle won 7-0 behind a core group of young players who more than held their own after Boyle coach Brian Deem pulled his starters just 30 minutes into the game.

Freshman Leah Missik had her first career hat trick, scoring twice in the first half and once in the second. Fellow freshmen Sarah Hall and Rachel May also scored, along with sophomore Lydia Hignite and senior C.C. Leffew.

But freshmen ruled the field for the majority of the game. Deem said that gave him the opportunity to get a better look at his players.


"The younger girls picked it up," Deem said. "They wanted to play. I think it's good for the older girls to see because it helps our older girls to realize that we have possibilities. We have younger girls that can push them a little bit more.

"It was good for me to get to look at them. I needed to see who can play and who can't at the varsity level, and I got some good insight on that."

Missik proved she has a scoring touch, scoring Boyle's final two goals of the first half and the final Rebels' goal of the game.

The forward said playing the long minutes with her classmates will pay off not only later on this year, but also several years down the road.

"It's going to help us with experience and help us get a feel for the game," Missik said. "There's a difference in being out there in practice and being out there in a game. Once we get experience, it will help us to be better and then when we become seniors, it will be a senior-dominated team."

Deem's lineup still involved his seniors, but it was a different look. The coach moved some players around, including pushing Leffew from sweeper to forward and moving Marissa Hibbs from midfielder to sweeper.

"I was just trying to shake some things up and get a little more speed up top for us and see what combinations we might be able to make out of it," Deem said. "I was just trying to generate a little more offense for us there."

First goal came in first minute

It didn't take long. Boyle's first goal, off the foot of Hall, came in the first minute. Just minutes later, Hignite followed with her goal and Leffew headed in a rebound shot after Boyle had taken six shots in rapid succession, with shots hitting the left post and the crossbar.

Missik's first two goals put Boyle up 5-0, but the Rebels lost Hibbs to an apparent leg injury between the goals.

Lincoln went to the half down 5-0, and coach Wiley Faw said it was important for the Patriots to keep their heads up in the second half.

"Five goals down or five goals up, you have to finish," Faw said. "With a young team, that's huge. If you lay down and roll over because you're down, what are you going to do when it's one goal? There's no difference. You have to keep playing."

May scored less than a minute into the second half, and Missik's final goal came in the final 10 minutes.

Hignite moved into goal for the second half, replacing senior Tiffany Webb, and made several good saves to keep Lincoln off the scoreboard.

Faw said the fact Lincoln was getting such good looks and putting them on frame will help the Patriots' confidence.

"Any time you do something positive, it's going to help the morale of the team and make them realize that they can do it," Faw said. "We just have to think about it and do it every time."

Central Kentucky News Articles