files 091403

September 16, 2003

100 years ago - 1903

Perryville will have a newspaper. It will be edited and published by W. Owen McIntyre, who was associated with the Kentucky Advocate. McIntyre said Danville merchants are patronizing the paper with advertising.

The Junction City Graded School opened with the largest enrollment in its history with 142 pupils present. Rev. Godby, pastor of one of the local churches, gave an opening address. Professor W.C. Grinstead of Danville, Mr. Lingle and Dr. H.S. Chase also made interesting talks. With three teachers from the old faculty and a new one with 15 years of experience, the school should be a success.

The spacious halls of Arcadia have been renovated and overhauled by Danville decorators Gibbons and May. This old home of Governor Shelby is one of the finest places in the state from the point of architectural beauty.


Warren B. Edwards of Perryville owns an auto-bi or motorcycle, which he rides all over the county on official business. He purchased the machine in Lexington. He says he easily can make 30 miles an hour on good roads. He is county surveyor of Boyle.

The body of John Schmid Jr., who died in the Philippines several months ago, arrived in New York and will be sent to his father's home in Junction City. He was the son of John Schmid. He was 22 years old and enlisted in the Third United States Cavalry about three years ago and was sent to the Philippines. He was transferred to the Hospital Corps and died of dysentery. He is the brother of Frank Schmid, head baker for P. Gilcher.

75 years ago - 1928

Almost all the town's pastors attended a meeting of the city council to protest oil stations being located near churches. Judge Puryear represented Scott Glore, who had taken an option on the Freeman property adjoining the First Presbyterian Church. Some of the property already has been purchased by Glore on the strength of the zoning ordinance.

The Kiwanis Clubs in Danville, Berea, Mount Vernon and Somerset met at Crab Orchard Springs Hotel. Several of the members played golf and enjoyed the beautiful surrounding grounds, while others took a swim in the lake or played bridge. A banquet held in the main dining room seated 150 people. W.A. Young, the wheelhorse of the Danville organization, led the singing of patriotic songs.

Mr. and Mrs. Chester Wallin, a Danville couple, had a narrow escape from a watery grave in Herrington Lake. They were driving a motor boat near Nave's Club House near Chenault Bridge when it capsized. Both the Wallins were dashed in the water, which is 100 feet deep. Both swam ashore. Mr. Wallin had laid his pocketbook that contained $105 in the boat, and it was lost.

The sale of booth space for the coming fall festival has been going well. Thirty-seven of the 45 booths have been sold. Firms who have purchased space include: newspapers, Danville Daily Messenger and Kentucky Advocate; banks, Boyle Bank and Trust, Farmers and Citizens national banks; department and clothing stores, Welsh and Wiseman Co., Hub-Pushin Co. and Lawson Dry Goods Co.; furniture stores, Baugh and Garner and Freeman Furniture Co.; automobile dealers, Danville Motor Co., H.G. Roberts and Woods Motor Co.; and lumber dealers, Bland and Stagg.

Hustonville Pike will be resurfaced. District Maintenance Engineer D.H. Bray of the state highway commission, visited Danville with William McAlister, local maintenance engineer, to go over the road from Danville to Hustonville. Mayor W.O. McIntyre now is asking the commission to apply a thin coat of oil to the gravel road between Hustonville and Liberty.

50 years ago - 1953

Linda Lane, 4, was all smiles after she received an all-day sucker from Larry Woboril of Larry's Candy and Tobacco Co. She had begged him for a long time for such a treat. The sucker has lasted Linda a week. She has carried it around Danville and showed it to everyone. She is the youngest of Mr. and Mrs. Arch Lane's seven children.

Groundbreaking ceremonies for a new chapel and administration building of the Salvation Army will be held. R. Putney Guerrant, chairman of the Salvation Army's advisory board, will preside over the program. The new $31,856 building at Frye's Lane and South Fourth Street will be of concrete block and brick. An old meeting hall will be demolished. Before the Salvation Army took it over, it had been part of the Neighborhood Home buildings. The contract for the building was awarded to E.P. "Lige" Faulconer III, who also designed the new structure.

Workmen have started excavating the banks of Chaplin River, which flows through the town of Perryville, to widen the area and provide ample space for any debris that is forced downstream during periods of high water. A foot bridge to connect the east and west side of Perryville will be replaced. It was destroyed by high water in March. Phillips Brothers of Mitchellsburg are in charge. Perryville residents use the shortcut several times a day.

Central Kentucky News Articles