KSD scores first soccer win

Garrard, Boyle and Danville triumph

September 19, 2003

The Kentucky School for the Deaf boys recorded the first win in their program's history by beating Cincinnati St. Rita School for the Deaf 3-0 Thursday at Cincinnati.

Michael Hayes scored twice in the first half to power the Colonels (1-1) in the second of three varsity games they will play this season. The first-year program is playing primarily junior varsity games.

KSD avenged a 5-4 home loss five days earlier to St. Rita.

"We came back with a very outstanding game," KSD coach Paul Smiley said.

Each team got only one shot in the first 23 minutes, but Hayes scored for KSD off a pass from Joe Davis in the 25th minute, then scored again in the 33rd minute.

In the 60th minute, Tyler Burke scored the Colonels' final goal on a penalty kick.

They threatened again late in the game when Kerry Helton was moved from goalkeeper to forward for the final eight minutes, generating an offensive spark that saw KSD take nine of its 16 shots in that period.


"We really just outhustled them at the end of the game," Smiley said. "And D.J. Smallwood and Drew Mead had great games on defense. They really stopped St. Rita's forwards."

Garrard County 4, Russell County 0 - At Russell Springs, Colby Grider became Garrard's all-time goals leader with a first-half goal, one of three the unbeaten Golden Lions (9-0) used to vault past Russell (0-10).

Grider scored his 26th career goal to help Garrard build a 3-0 halftime lead, and the Lions' defense held fast against a Russell team that has scored only three times this season.

"The defense played well tonight," Garrard coach Jonathan Martin said. "Brandon Merriman had a really good game hustling and had a lot of shots, Jacob Denny played extremely hard and Colby Grider had an all-around good game."

Garrard outshot Russell 51-5 in the second half and didn't allow a shot in the second half.

Denny and Merriman also scored in the first half for Garrard, and Denny added a second-half goal. Grider, Merriman, Denny and Malcolm Smith had assists for the Lions.

Boyle County 2, Marion County 0 - At Lebanon, Boyle (6-3-1) blanked Marion (6-3) for its second consecutive shutout and its fifth of the season.

Boyle coach Greg Conley said the Rebels got strong play in goal to keep Marion off the scoreboard and snap the Knights' four-game winning streak.

"Evan Rice played absolutely spectacular in goal, as did Alex Rice," Conley said.

Roland Achenjang scored for Boyle in the first half, and Tom Valade's shot caromed off a Marion player for an own-goal in the second.

"We played another great game," Conley said. "We're moving the ball well now and using the outside of the field, and I'm very impressed with the way things are going."

Danville 3, Corbin 1 - At Corbin, two fouls against Danville's Miguel Magana led to two goals that made the difference as the Admirals (3-7) defeated Corbin (4-6-1).

Jameson Gay got the only first-half goal on a penalty kick after Magana was fouled in the penalty box and forced out of the game about seven minutes before halftime.

It happened again shortly after Corbin's Trey Monaco tied the game early in the second half, and this time Magana put the penalty kick home to put Danville ahead to stay with 29:30 to play.

"The game was really very even ... although I felt like we did dominate in the second half," Danville coach Gary Reynolds said. "I think after we scored our second goal we got to them a little bit."

Taylor Lamblin also scored with 25:50 remaining for the Admirals, who outshot Corbin 12-4.

"We got outstanding play tonight from several people," Reynolds said. "Chris and Matt Booth shared the goal time, and both of them did a good job, and (defenders) Miles Garriott, Alex Gash and Adam Hoover ... were just incredible tonight, as usual."

Central Kentucky News Articles