McCloud breaks record in Mercer's 47-14 win

Casey, Harrodsburg win in overtime

October 19, 2003

Andrew McCloud went farther than any Mercer County running back before him, setting the school's single-game rushing record with 338 yards Friday in the Scotties' 47-14 victory over Henry County at New Castle.

McCloud broke Terry Riley's record of 303 yards set in 1989 against Paris, surpassing that mark in the third quarter on the last of his four touchdown runs.

Mercer coach Duane Hammons has said all season he hoped McCloud would have a chance at the record.

"Andrew's a special back. He always has been," Hammons said.

McCloud averaged 14.1 yards on his 24 carries, raising his season total to 1,407 yards. He scored on runs of 5, 43, 64 and 21 yards, then carried the ball only twice more after his last touchdown.

Mercer (5-4, 2-1 Class AA, District 5) had 508 yards in all, 459 of them on the ground. Channing Owens rushed seven times for 61 yards, including a 38-yard touchdown in the first quarter, and Luke Robinson had six carries for 38 yards and an 18-yard scoring run in the third quarter.


Quarterback Michael Bottoms completed three of eight passes for 49 yards, and Jason Chadwick kicked field goals of 35 and 29 yards.

Both kicks came in the final 3:19 of the first half, the second with 2.6 seconds left. The Scotties got 10 points in the final minute of the half to take a 27-7 lead.

Mercer jumped on Henry (3-5, 0-2) right from the start, holding the Wildcats to zero yards on their first series and then scoring two touchdowns in 28 seconds on runs by McCloud and Owens.

"It was 14-0 like that," Hammons said. "We had a problem in the last two games of coming out at the start with no fire. I was real tickled with the way we came out and took it to them right away instead of them taking it to us."

Henry had 172 rushing yards but was held to minus-5 yards on the ground after halftime. The Wildcats totaled 227 yards.

John Lyons and Jordan Lyons led Mercer's defense with 14 and 13 tackles, respectively.

Casey County 19, Wayne County 13, OT - At Monticello, Casey held Wayne on its first overtime possession, then scored on its second play.

Blake McGinnis scored from 2 yards out on Casey's second overtime snap to give Casey (2-6, 1-2 Class AA District 4) the win.

Wayne (2-6, 1-2) had a chance to win the game in regulation, but Andrew Allen blocked the Cardinals' extra-point attempt after their fourth-quarter touchdown.

"Andrew has the lace marks on his arm," Casey coach Andy Stephens said.

McGinnis scored all three touchdowns for Casey on runs of 25, 3 and 2 yards. He finished the game with 66 yards rushing on 15 carries, while Josh Swango had 13 carries for 90 yards and Rex Delk 17 carries for 63 yards.

Casey ended the game with 230 total yards, 221 of them rushing, while Wayne County had 215 yards of total offense.

Defensively, Casey snagged four interceptions, one each by Delk, Derek Vest, Brandon Raney and Lance Wethington.

Barry Burton led the way with nine tackles, Allen had eight and Vest had seven. Greg Martin had a sack for the Rebels.

Stephens said he was pleased with the way his lines played, despite missing two linemen, on both sides of the ball.

"Our offensive and defensive lines were playing both ways," Stephens said. "The guys played really hard, and that was one thing I was really pleased with.

"We played pretty decent. We saw some stuff to look at and to fix to get ourselves ready to play."

Harrodsburg 17, Owen County 10, OT - At Owenton, Harrodsburg got big games from two freshmen after Mark Dunn was injured on the second play of the game.

Freshmen Brandon Brown and Cory Jackson took advantage of the opportunity for more carries by picking up more than 100 yards each for Harrodsburg (7-1, 2-1 Class A, District 4).

Brown had 112 yards on 19 carries and Jackson picked up 105 yards, including an 87-yard scoring run, on nine rushing attempts. Brown had a 2-yard scoring run on Harrodsburg's third play in overtime to win the game.

Dunn left the game after being hit on the ankle by an Owen helmet. He went to the hospital Saturday for tests, but coach Terry Yeast said he thinks it's just a deep bruise above the ankle instead of the high ankle sprain coaches originally feared.

"I thought it was a total team effort and a hard-fought football game," Yeast said. "Right from the get-go, Mark went down. I think pyschologically, when you have a young team, that affects the kids. But we regrouped in the second half and I'm extremely proud of the job they did. "

Special teams played a big role in the win, as Harrodsburg blocked three field goals in the game, including the potential game-winner late in regulation.

Owen (2-6, 0-3) lined up for a 52-yard kick with seven seconds to play, but Michael Harris blocked Chasse Clark's kick to force overtime. Shane Webb and Travis White also blocked kicks.

Harrodsburg had 239 yards of offense, 228 of it on the ground, compared to 149 yards of offense for Owen.

Webb had 14 tackles, while White and Mariqus Brown each had 12. Chris Sheron, who replaced Dunn on defense, and Richard Reilly each had 11 stops.

Central Kentucky News Articles