* Novell has announced their plans to purchase SuSE Linux for $210 million in cash by early next year. This will be the company's second Linux purchase for the year. In August, they purchased desktop Linux Ximian. Read more at www.novell.com/news/press/archive/2003/11/pr03069.html. In related news, Novell announced that IBM will make a $50 million investment in Novell's convertible preferred stock. Read more at www.novell.com/news/leadstories/2003/nov3/.
* Microsoft releases a critical patch for Powerpoint, Word and Excel in its newest Office 2003 software. Learn more at www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3104671.
* Microsoft is offering two $250,000 bounties for information leading to the arrest of the persons responsible for the MSBlast worm and the SoBig virus. Learn more at www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2003/nov03/11-05AntiVirus RewardsPR.asp.
* A serious issue with LG CD-ROM drives used with Mandrake Linux has been discovered. The drives become inoperable because the OS flushes the drive's firmware. A list of drives affected are posted on Mandrake's site along with more information at www.mandrakelinux.com/en/lgerrata.php3.
* Our local Aldi's grocery store is getting a jump on its competition this year. Instead of offering its great computer around the usual start of the holiday buying season, its system will be available Tuesday. Its latest Medion features a wireless mouse and keyboard, a DVD/CD-burner, more hard drive space, more RAM and better graphics than its previous offer, and it also comes with a handy remote control.
The price will be $799. Visit the store for a flyer with all the features or visit the Aldi's Web site at www.aldifoods.com/Special_Purchase/pr1110_1.htm.
* CVS has address labels, wallet-size photo paper and a few other items for those who like desktop publishing.
Live MSN chat events
Nov. 9: Chat with Comedy Central's Mo Rocca about how teens deal with politics, government, power, race and fairness at 9 p.m. Go to http://chat.msn.com/msnlive_feature.msnw?id=artist/morocca.
Nov. 10: Chat with Triumph the Insult Comedy Dog at 9:30 p.m. Go to http://chat.msn.com/msnlive_feature.msnw?id=artist/triumph.
Sites to see
* PlaygroundUSA.com will launch Wednesday. It is a free online activities club for people interested in finding others who share common interests, but it is not a dating site. Those interested can sign up now.
E-mail me at email@example.com; fax me at (859) 236-9566; or write me snail-mail at The Advocate-Messenger, P.O. Box 149, Danville, KY 40423-0149.