files 111603

November 17, 2003

100 years ago - 1903

Dr. Spurgeon Cheek entertained several of his friends with a opossum supper at his home on East Lexington Street. It was the first try at the toothsome meat for several of the guests, and they expressed their desire to have another one soon. After the supper, the guests were entertained by several pleasing anecdotes by John Prall. Those present were Reed Nichols, W.J. Price, Edwin Curry, J.H. Harrison, Edwin Snyder and Drs. I.E. Gose and L.Q. Nelson.

Sheriff McDowell received a letter asking about the condition and number of jails in Boyle County. McDowell forgot to mention that Perryville is not supplied with a caliboose. He then received a letter asking why he had not included Perryville. He replied that as a proud native of Perryville he can vouch for the fast that the town does not need a lockup. "The people there are all good Democrats and there is scarcely a need for an officer. Perryville is one of the oldest towns in the state and has no saloons. You can't even get a drink from the drug stores with a doctor's prescription," McDowell said.


A fire destroyed several buildings in Hustonville. Lightning struck the telephone room over Weatherford and Myers' store and in a few minutes the structure was one mass of roaring flames. It spread to the Weatherford Hotel, one of the oldest buildings in town, which was quickly consumed.

S. Harold Fox, who had drummed for Hogsett Military Academy, has resigned his position as physical director and assistant commandant at the school. The academy will continue under the management of Professor Henry A. Wise, who will be gratified to learn that its outlook for a successful reopening has materially increased. The early enrollment of several day pupils and boarders has been assured.

The saw that a prisoner used to break out of the jail was found in the courthouse yard. It was a small, black scroll saw that had a steel blade inserted. The saw is super sharp. It was tried on a horse shoe and sawed it in to in a few minutes. This shows that only a few minutes were needed to saw out of the jail.

75 years ago - 1928

Nick London, proprietor of Palace of Sweets, will remodel his business and establish an up-to-date restaurant in place of his candy business. London has gained a reputation for homemade candy and has a good business. The Palace of Sweets, on the corner of Fourth and Main streets, is one of the prettiest businesses in Central Kentucky.

The Fleming Beauty Shoppe, which has been located on North Third Street, has moved to a new location. It adjoins the Ben C. Ingels Electric Co. on South Third St. and is open for business. The new location is in the room formerly occupied by the Smith Music Shoppe. Fleming decorated the new location with lavender and green booths. It is equipped to do all kinds of work. He has a manicure booth, a permanent wave booth, a facial room, four marcel booths and shampoo and drying room. Mr. and Mrs. E.A. Fleming and Miss Cora Bird are taking care of all patrons' needs.

U.G. Hatfield, principal at Junction City School, wrote a letter about his school's needs. He said the most pressing problem is overcrowding. About 425 students are on the roll of which about 57 are in the high school. There are 11 teachers in 10 classrooms. The average enrollment in the grades is 41 but some teachers have more than 50 students. A poor heating system is another problem. About 15 stoves are used to heat the school. Also, to stay on the list of accredited schools, about 100 more books need to be added to the library.

W.P. Board, principal at Perryville High School, wrote about his school's need. With 380 students enrolled, he also felt that the school was overcrowded. With seven teachers for the lower grades, high school students are needed to keep study hall for fifth- and sixth-graders. School buses also are overcrowded. One bus carries 50 to 60 children.

50 years ago - 1953

As Danville's part in the Kentucky Bookmobile Project, a collection of new, good and used books will be made throughout the city. It is called a Porchlight Book Collection and residents are urged to cooperate by turning on their porch lights or front light windows if they don't have porches. They can places the books outside the front door and telephone the radio station t pick them up. All the books will be used on the bookmobiles.

Thomas B. Litton, Paris restaurant owner, purchased the Bun Boy at public auction for $13,000. Litton has owned two restaurants in Paris. He plans to move to Danville. The Bun Boy originally was owned by W. Irvine Hadfield and Ernest H. "Bud" Wright. It was operated for a short time by W.T. Isaac and David Highbaugh, owners and operators of radio station WHIR.

The city of Danville will not have two mayors during an overlapping period. Mayor Henry Nichols was elected while Danville was a fourth-class city for a four-year term that expires Jan. 4. He intends to resign to allow W. Terry Griffin to assumes his office as mayor of a third-class city.

Central Kentucky News Articles