Boyle County notebook

December 07, 2003

Elbowed out: Junior running back-linebacker Danny Commarford left the field with an elbow injury near the midpoint of the second quarter and did not return.

Commarford was injured on a 4-yard run that helped set up Boyle's second touchdown. He said he hurt his elbow while trying to brace himself as he was tackled. It was his second carry in three plays, and those were his only two carries of the game. He finished with 8 yards.

He walked off the field to the Boyle bench, then was taken first to the Boyle locker room and then to the University of Louisville medical facility within the stadium for X-rays. He was diagnosed with a dislocated elbow.

Leaving early: Boyle tight end-linebacker Evan Teague saw his afternoon come to an early end when he was ejected for his part in a fight in the fourth quarter.


A scrum developed with 7:09 remaining after Highlands attempted an onside kick following a Boyle safety, and Teague and two Highlands players were thrown out. Four unsportsmanlike conduct penalties were issued on the play, three of them against Highlands.

KHSAA rules mandate that any ejection be followed by a one-game suspension, so Teague must sit out Boyle's 2004 season opener.

Other Boyle players said they enjoyed mixing it up a bit.

"That was the best part of the game for me," quarterback Brandon Smith said. "We got a state championship and a fight, too."

On the ball: The game ended with an interception by Ian Loughry on Highlands' final attempt to add to its point total, and Loughry was still clutching the ball he picked off long after the clock ran out.

The senior tight end-defensive back said he didn't think he would be in position to get his hands on the ball after a knee injury he suffered early in the season threatened to end his season.

He made it back and he was a valuable part of Boyle's passing game during its playoff run.

"I feel like the luckiest person on this field right now," he said after the game, holding the football in one arm and Boyle's championship trophy in the other.

Lining 'em up: Boyle's string of consecutive championships - Class AA titles in 1999 and 2000 and Class AAA crowns from 2001-03 - puts it ahead of Beechwood, which until Saturday shared the record for consecutive titles with Boyle. Beechwood won Class A titles from 1991-94.

Boyle also made its second entry on the list of the state's longest winning streaks with its 25th consecutive victory. The streak is tied for the 16th longest in the state records.

Boyle built the second-longest winning streak in state history with 47 consecutive victories from 1999-2002.

This was the fifth undefeated season in Boyle history; Boyle is tied for seventh on the list of teams with the most perfect seasons.

Crowded: Boyle helped reset the attendance record for the Class AAA championship as 10,057 fans saw Saturday's Boyle-Highlands game at Papa John's Cardinal Stadium. The previous record crowd was 9,140 for Boyle's win over Rockcastle County in 2001.

A record for all classes was set in Saturday's Class AAAA game between St. Xavier and Trinity, which drew 26,430 fans.

On the road: Former Boyle County player Ray Whitehouse now lives in North Carolina and had not been able to see Boyle's four previous state title games. However, Saturday he flew into Louisville about 10:30 a.m., watched Boyle's win and then flew back to Raleigh, N.C., Saturday night.

"The only bad part was that I had a bunch of Duke (basketball) fans on the plane ride here," Whitehouse, a 1981 Boyle graduate, said.

He had been in Danville Thanksgiving weekend visiting his family when Boyle won at Paducah Tilghman and Danville won at Mayfield.

"We tuned radio one to the Danville game and radio two to the Boyle game," Whitehouse said. "That's the only way to be when it comes to football."

Central Kentucky News Articles