The congregation of the First Colored Baptist Church will hold a big rally to raise a sufficient amount to pay off a heavy indebtedness. Several prominent speakers will be in attendance. The debt is $1,200 on the building, and the group hopes to wipe it out in a few weeks.
R.J. Toohey, the local commission man, passed through Main Street driving more than 1,200 geese. The flock will be driven to Richmond, where they will be fattened and shipped to the East. It is no trouble to find one or two geese on Danville's streets most any day, but even the oldest inhabitants can't recollect have seen this many.
Police Capt. G.T. Helm, James Yeager and Thomas Cox, who have served respectively 18 years, two years and four years on the force, will retire. Logan Wood will become chief. James Dunn and James R. Moore will replace the other officers.
75 years ago - 1928
A gymnasium class for men, sponsored by the Danville Kiwanis and Rotary clubs, is open to members of those clubs and the faculty of Danville High School and Centre College. It will be held at the gymnasium in the women's department of Centre College. Classes will be held in calisthenics.
Four workmen from the state geology department are in Boyle County making a survey of the shale outcroppings in the knob section of the county. The date secured will be placed in a map the department is preparing. The workmen are staying at the Gilcher Hotel for 10 days.
50 years ago - 1953
The first room to be used in the new addition to Ephraim McDowell Memorial Hospital was put into use early on New Year's Day. It was occupied by J.D. Erskine's daughter, Mrs. Richard G. Caldwell of Harrodsburg Road, who gave birth to the second child of 1954. It was by accident that the room was ready. The last time Mrs. Caldwell arrived at the hospital for the same purpose, she was put in the hall on the bridge of the original building. When she arrived this time, she was greeted by another "no room" sign. But some of the furniture for the new wing had arrived and Superintendent Erskine ordered that the room be prepared. Danville's first baby of the new year was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Billy Dollins of 118 N. Fifth St.
The late John Fox Dudderar of Stanford was listed in a story titled "Heroes of the High Iron" in the December issue of Railway Progress. He was an engineer on the Louisville and Nashville Railroad and gave his life on Sept. 25, 1925, to save his passengers. His daughter, Mrs. E.J. Pohlmann, lives in Danville as does his widow. The article said, "John Dudderar knew his engine, he knew his road, and he knew his duty. To leap from his engine was a chance to live. But what about the passengers back in the sleepers? The conductor, the brakeman, the Pullman porters?" He made the decision to save all but himself.
The Hub Frankel department store entertained its employees and their families with a dinner at Palm Beach to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the store. The store was founded in 1904 and moved to its present location on the corner of Third and Main streets in 1914. J.N. and Walter Frankel have been connected with the business for the past 30 years. J.N. Frankel Jr. joined the business after the close of World War II.
25 years ago - 1978
Ed Juett began his first day as utility manager of the troubled Junction city water and sewer department. Other employees in the city hall office are Ann Ursprung, city clerk and bookkeeper, and Jean Stigall, who handles the water and sewer billing. Juett was employed through a one-year contract with the Bluegrass Area Development District. His employment was one of the conditions of the city receiving a $35,000 grant from Gov. Julian Carroll for improvements to the water and sewer system.