Bob O'Daniel used to live in a house with a heat pump, but he said he never felt warm until he installed a wood-burning stove.
"When you're burning wood, you feel the heat," he said.
O'Daniel is a manager at Tractor Supply in Danville, where wood-burning stoves go pretty quick. At the height of winter, the wood-burning stove can create a cozy temperature inside.
Wood is economical, clean and is cheaper than natural gas, O'Daniel said.
However, some safety precautions must be taken to avoid accidents.
Never burn inappropriate fuels or igniter substances, said Larry Piercy, extension safety and health specialist for the University of Kentucky College of Agriculture.
Piercy offered these other tips:
* Don't use coal in a wood-burning stove.
n Never start a fire in the stove with kerosene or gasoline because these liquids could explode.
* Don't burn trash or wood treated with preservatives because it can release dangerous chemicals.