Barn and contents burn in Casey
LIBERTY - A barn filled with hay and farm equipment burned to the ground Thursday night on Bryant Ridge Road.
The barn apparently had an electrical short in the tobacco stripping room that caused the fire, said Gale Scott, chief of Brush Creek Fire Department.
When firefighters arrived about 7 p.m., flames were coming out of the structure.
David Grider of 1605 Bryant Ridge Road, owner of the property, reportedly got some equipment out of the barn, but most was lost, Scott said.
Grider told Scott that he had turned lights on in the barn to load hay for a customer. He left the barn for a short time, then returned to smell smoke. After investigating, Grider found the fire had started in the stripping room and quickly spread to the rest of the wood structure. The barn was insured.