Controversy is always with city government.
The paved streets we drive on today weren't a given at the start of the 20th century. In 1914, the City Council got the paver rolling by ordering paved streets be built on Maple Avenue and Main Street from Second Street to the train depot. This was to be done at the expense of the property owners. The city expected other property owners to ask that their streets be paved.
Then the council had to decide what type of street. Three were proposed a few months later: brick, wood block or bitualithic asphalt. Wood blocks were slick, especially in winter, causing horses and people to fall. Brick made too much noise and asphalt did not wear well.
Whether it was the same project or not is not clear, but in 1917 some residents filed a lawsuit to stop street construction. The courts ruled in the city's favor, letting construction continue.