Police News

March 04, 2004

Police investigate report of flashed weapon

Danville police investigated a verbal confrontation Monday between three men at Chill's Quick Stop market on Hustonville Road.

According to a report by officer Jeff Stith, a white male came into the store and sat at a table. Two black males arrived in a red, Chevrolet Blazer, and one of the men approached the man sitting at the table and threatened him.

A witness told police the black male pulled up his shirt to reveal a handgun, and told the white male he wasn't going to cause trouble there, but when the white male left the store the black male was going to blow his head off.

The two black males then left in the Blazer. The white male spoke briefly with store personnel and then left before police arrived. No arrests were made.


Four-car collision injures one person

One person was injured when four cars were involved in a traffic accident at 4:06 p.m. Wednesday at the intersection of the bypass and Brenda Avenue.

According to the police report, a 1991 Pontiac Sunbird driven by Ashley N. Cox, 16, of 705 Logan Ave., was on Brenda Avenue facing north at the intersection and pulled out, hitting a 2000 Jeep driven by Edith J. Sparks, 20, of Somerset, that was traveling east on the bypass.

Cox's vehicle spun and hit a 1991 Plymouth Acclaim driven by Valerie A. Mullins, 22, of Brodhead, that was in a turning lane on the bypass preparing to turn on to Brenda Avenue.

Cox's vehicle also was spun into a 1985 Ford Bronco II driven by Harry E. Rose, 43, of 144 E. Erskine Drive, that was traveling west on the bypass.

Cox was treated at the scene by Boyle County Emergency Medical Service and transported to Ephraim McDowell Regional Medical Center. Officer Jamie Ferrie investigated.

Man arrested after police chase

LANCASTER - A Stanford man was arrested Tuesday after leading Lancaster police on a chase to Lincoln County.

Alando Chappell, 22, was charged with suspicion of driving under the influence of intoxicants, fleeing from police, wanton endangerment, possession of marijuana and having a license plate from another car.

According to Officer Allen Weston, Chappell took off when Weston tried to pull him over on southbound U.S. 27 Tuesday afternoon.

During the pursuit, Weston said, Chappell nearly struck one vehicle and forced over another driver.

He eventually stopped after 31/2-mile pursuit that ended near Patrick Road in Lincoln County.

Chappell, whom Weston said "had a strong odor of marijuana on his person," fled on foot into a nearby wooded area before being apprehended.

Chappell was booked into Lincoln County Regional Jail. He was being held in lieu of a $12,000 bond for Garrard County and two $10,000 bonds for Lincoln County. The different bails reflect charges in the separate counties.

Former youth coach fined $100

LANCASTER - A former youth football coach who used an overage player pleaded guilty to tampering with or rigging a sports contest.

Willie Clark, 45, of Lancaster, was fined $100 for the misdemeanor Feb. 26 in Garrard District Court.

According to his summons, Clark was the head coach of a team in the Garrard County Youth Football League that limited players to 12 years old and seventh grade.

Clark, however, played a boy who was 14 and in the ninth grade, the coach's nephew told police. The nephew said he told Clark that the player was 14. That game was in August.

The summons by Lancaster police officer John Ballard was served Jan. 20.

Juvenile arrested on theft charge

HARRODSBURG - City police took a 14-year-old male juvenile into custody Feb. 27 and charged him with theft by unlawful taking over $300.

David Dearinger, 34, of Story Avenue, reported to police that a Winchester shotgun valued at $600 and a military rifle valued at $300 had been stolen. The youth was apprehended and taken to the Laurel County Juvenile Detention Center.

Harrodsburg police arrest Lancaster man

HARRODSBURG - Aaron R. Woosley, 18, of 194 Mildred Lane, Lancaster, was arrested about midnight Saturday after police were called to Cummins Drive to deal with a person causing a disturbance.

Police found the suspect walking on West Factory Street. Officers determined he was allegedly under the influence of intoxicants and when they tried to handcuff him, he resisted and started yelling and screaming, causing an annoyance and alarm to others in the area, police said.

He was charged with alcohol intoxication in a public place, resisting arrest and disorderly conduct. He was arraigned Monday and sentenced to 10 days in jail with credit for three days served.

Central Kentucky News Articles