Knowing how to thoroughly clean your system should you get a virus is critical. This includes knowing how to disable and enable the System Restore utility in Windows.
For Windows ME users:
1. Right click on the My Computer icon on your Desktop and click on Properties.
2. Click on the Performance tab.
3. Click on the File System button.
4. Click on the Troubleshooting tab.
5. Put a check mark next to Disable System Restore.
6. Click the OK button.
7. You will be prompted to restart the computer. Click Yes.
For Windows XP users:
1. Right click on the My Computer icon on the Desktop and click on Properties.
2. Click on the System Restore tab.
3. Put a check mark next to Turn off System Restore on All Drives.
4. Click the OK button.
5. You will be prompted to restart the computer. Click Yes.
To re-enable the System Restore on either Windows ME or Windows XP, follow the steps for the respective operating system to the step about the checkmark and remove the check. Then proceed with the other steps.
MSN Live online events
March 9: R&B artist Avant chats at 7 p.m.
* Michael Dell, CEO of Dell Computers, has stepped down after 20 years of running the company he founded. He will remain an active member of the board of directors. Kevin Rollins will become the new chief executive office effective in July. Read more.
* SCO sues two major companies, Autozone and DaimlerChrysler Corporation, in efforts to gain momentum in its fight against Linux. Learn more.
* Lindows.com has added peer-to-peer (P2P) servers to deliver its latest products to its customers. This will aid in speedier deliveries of products and keep its customers from having to wait on a download queue. Read more.
Sites to see
Sonic Zone at http://sonikku.com is a cool online detour for fans of Sonic the Hedgehog and friends. The site features information on games, characters, Sonic cartoons and comics. The history of Sonic is detailed by a yearly timeline.
The site has multimedia content featuring pictures, fan art and fan fictions. There are plenty of opportunities to interact with other Sonic fans via the site's forums and its IRC chat room.
E-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org; fax me at (859) 236-9566; or write me snail-mail at The Advocate-Messenger, P.O. Box 149, Danville, KY 40423-0149.