LIBERTY - Authorities are still looking for clues to what started a mobile home fire early Sunday that claimed the life of 8-year-old Kari Leonard on Dry Creek Road in Northeastern Casey County.
The child died of smoke inhalation, according to a preliminary report by the state medical examiner's office in Frankfort. Casey County Coroner Tommy Clark pronounced the child dead Sunday morning at the scene of the fire where she was trapped in the burning debris.
"We still don't know the cause," said Danny Wolford, firefighter with Clementsville Volunteer Fire Department. "It apparently had something to do with the electrical system. The mobile home had natural gas, but the bottle was empty and shut off," he said.
The fire was totally engulfed when the first firefighters arrived," Wolford said. "By the time the equipment got there, it was almost gone."