files 041804

April 18, 2004

100 years ago - 1904

The young ladies of Danville will assist the members of the Athletic Association in the carnival. They have arranged to give several beautiful tableaux representing the Grecian gods and goddesses.

Louise VanWinkle will wear the official "C" at the carnival. She was chosen as queen. She will present the prizes to the successful contestants on the last day of the carnival.

The Central Kentucky Medical Society's regular quarterly meeting was held in the opera house at Stanford. Dr. Steele Bailey of Stanford read a paper on the treatment of pneumonia. Dr. Carpenter wrote on gynecology and obstetrics. Drs. Cook and Montgomery also read papers. Crab Orchard was selected as the next meeting place. Those who attended from Boyle County included Harveille, Cheek, Gose, Jackson and Dunlap.


Marble dealers will be excited by a discovery five miles from Stanford of a vein of black marble. A stock company with $50,000 capital is being organized. The marble was discovered through the class in geology at the Stanford Graded School. It is near the entrance to an immense cavern. The only drawback is a man on an adjoining farm who refuses to lease his land.

The tarantula that was found in a grocery's bananas by clerk Fisher Gaines was presented to Caldwell College. It is a rare specimen and will add to the college's collection of curios.

H. Lerner and Frank Tover will be the proprietors of a new meat market on the corner of Second and Main streets. Tover formerly was in business with Mitchell and Tuggle and is a first-class butcher.

75 years ago - 1929

The New York Restaurant, known for many years to Danville and visiting people as one of the best restaurants in the state, will open in a new location just below its old one. The new restaurant has all the modern equipment, including refrigeration. The proprietors, John Collis and Nick Stockas, have spared no expense in making their business a delightful place.

The Music Memory Contest has been given to the students of music supervisor Miss Catherine Mathis and sixth-grade teachers Elizabeth Floyd, Mary Lake, Cecil Thomas and Mary Coley. The records were selected by Miss Mathis, and several students having perfect papers received mention. Those with perfect papers included John Creech, Mae Elizabeth Beeler, Bruce McDonald, Curtis Brewer and Edythe Claunch.

The second clinic for crippled children in Boyle will be sponsored by the Danville Rotary Club. Last year, about 100 crippled children were brought to Danville for examination. Many of them were sent to the children's hospital for treatment.

Mrs. C.E. Allen made a plea for supervised playgrounds in Danville when she spoke to the Kiwanis Club. She is part of the town's movement to have the playgrounds supervised.

50 years ago - 1954

The Danville City Schools will alter its time schedule by switching to voluntary "fast" or daylight savings time. The schools will open one hour earlier each morning and dismiss an hour earlier. The pastors of the city churches have asked congregations to take note of the fact that the time has changed.

Janice Koger, a sixth-grader at Parksville School, won first place and a cash award of $10 in the Danville Junior Chamber of Commerce's Fire Truck Poster Contest. She plans to add her prize money to other cash she is saving to buy a horse. Her parents, Mr. and Mrs. C.R. Koger, have said she can have a horse when they have a field for the animal. Janice never fails to participate in a contest.

Members of the Danville High School band, directed by Don Hacker, qualified to enter the annual state High School Music Festival by earning an "excellent" rating in the regional festival. By having to play in a classification that is higher than the school is equipped to do, the ensemble's plans for attending the state competition are indefinite. Some of the band members are Johnny Robinson, Emma Stagner, Mark Lister, Dick Hailey, Lucy Sharp, Michael Watts, Susan Snead, Carol Linney, Louise Massey and Joyce Money.

James Walker owns mystery farm No. 13 that was pictured in the newspaper's farm page. It is located on White Oak Road. The farm, which has 50 acres of level land, was bought by Walker 20 years ago. It consisted of bushes, briars, trees, a two-room house and a small barn. There was one acre of cleared land. Walker cleared the land by hand and hasn't had a bulldozer on the place except to build a pond in 1952. He has built a ranch-type house with six rooms and all the modern conveniences.

Danville's Newberry will open in its expanded store. Visitors will register for free gifts, balloons, yardsticks and shopping bags. The new store will feature a serve-yourself system of merchandising. Buyers shop and pay one of the four cashiers. The partition to the storeroom has been removed, giving additional floor space. J.R. Cowart, store manager, said the remodeling has been in progress for two months.

25 years ago - 1979

Central Kentucky News Articles