Although the company fell short of its target of selling more than 100 million songs within its first year, they managed to accomplish great success. The target fell short due to slow adoption, but it was able to have sales totaling more than 70 million. Read more at www.apple.com/pr/library/2004/apr/28itunes.html.
The company is offering free downloads on its Web site during its anniversary week.
Cybiko correction and update
An editing error was made in my column last week. The price for the Cybiko Xtreme should have read less than $31 instead of $1.
If you have a Cybiko and are looking for online detours dedicated to the Cybiko, check out one of the most active fan sites around, Cydevr, at http://www.cydevr.net. If you are looking for Cybiko support, drop in at the Cybiko Forums at http://forums.cydevr.net, where one can get support from numerous Cybiko developers and even a former Cybiko employee. The forum is the most active Cybiko community remaining and has more than 400 members.
* A new beta of Yahoo Messenger is available. The new version allows users to create an avatar, share music, play games together and more. You can download a copy at http://messenger.yahoo.com/beta/winbeta.php.
* The latest accessory for the iPod is the new Belkin Digital Camera Link, which went on the market Saturday. The Camera Link complements mass-storage DCF-format and PTP-compliant digital cameras via a USB cable connection. Read more at www.marketwire.com/mw/release_html_b1?release_id=66369.
* MSN Chat now is a premium service. This change was made to help shield its users from spam, unwanted conversations and advertisements. Anyone is free to enter any chat room; however, in order to participate, one must become a subscriber. Learn more at http://join.msn.com/?age=chat/home&xAPID=1820&DI=341&HL=from_chat_page.
Cinco de Mayo sites to see
The U.S. Census Bureau has a site called "Cinco de Mayo 2004: Multimedia" at www.census.gov/pubinfo/www/multimedia/Cinco2004.html. Here, you can learn many interesting facts about the Mexican population and history about the Cinco de Mayo (May 5th) celebration. The site features multimedia information including video, bilingual scripts, audio, photos and more.
* Visit the Cinco de Mayo Fiesta 2004 site at www.elcincodemayo.com/english/index.asp. See how this celebration is done in Pasco, Wash.
* Find Cinco de Mayo fun at www.cincodemayo.net/english/. It has information, games, entertainment, Seorita Cinco de Mayo and more.
E-mail me at email@example.com; fax me at (859)236-9566; or write me snail-mail at The Advocate-Messenger, P.O. Box 149, Danville, KY 40423-0149.