Seniors ask city to reconsider cut in funding

May 25, 2004|LIZ MAPLES

Seniors packed city hall Monday night to save meals delivery, transportation to grocery stores and doctors and other activities, like line dancing.

Their funding was cut $2,000 from last year to a total of $53,000. The seniors, facing $10,500 cuts from federal and state governments, asked the city for $60,000 this year.

The county hasn't cut the funding from last year's level.

Seniors are getting discharged from health facilities quicker, to save money, and so the Gathering Place has had to serve more people.

Sadie Benedict Query, the line dancing instructor at the center, spoke.

"I'm begging you to get those seniors dancing," she said. "They really need the exercise."

She's afraid that line dancing classes will be cut because the budget is tight. The floors have to be cleaned twice as much because of the classes.


Query donates her $2 per-person fee back to the center.

The state and federal governments cut the seniors budget $8,900 last year, and $10,500 this year.

George Nicholson, a senior who goes to the center, said that every little bit would help.

"You know when you get to be a senior that's it, there (isn't any) more," he said.

Commissioner Chester Kavanaugh, during a budget workshop, said that he didn't want to reduce the seniors' funding at all. He hung on until the end, but was out-voted on the $2,000 cut.

Members of the board asked that the city consider giving them all they requested.

No comment or vote was taken by commissioners on the matter.

Central Kentucky News Articles