Police find new evidence on former teacher's computer

June 04, 2004|TODD KLEFFMAN

The indictment of former Boyle County Middle School teacher Mark Starr stems from a second, unreported videotaping incident involving a female student at the school who was not involved in the original complaint, The Advocate-Messenger has learned.

Paul Elwyn, Communications director for Boyle County Schools, said Thursday that Starr's indictment Tuesday by a Boyle County grand jury is related to a separate incident that occurred at the school during which a different female student knowingly participated in a "sexual performance" that Starr allegedly taped.

"About two or three weeks ago, the state police got some new software that allowed them to peel away new layers on his hard drive and that's where they found this footage," Elwyn said. "The charges go to what they found on the hard drive, not to the two students who initially raised concerns."

Starr, 32, is charged with using a minor under 16 in a sexual performance and tampering with physical evidence. He was arrested Wednesday after turning himself in to authorities in Graves County, but was transferred to the Boyle County Detention Center Thursday, where he remains today under a $25,000 bond, said Deputy Jailer Melissa Adams.


Starr, who taught technology and career explorations at the school for four years, was fired in March after the school system investigated claims from two female students that they were secretly videotaped while they changed clothes in an audio-visual room at the school.

Kentucky State Police analysts recently uncovered the video footage from one of the three computers confiscated from Starr during the execution of a search warrant for the investigation into a Jan. 22 incident when the two girls reported being taped while they changed, Elwyn said.

Neither KSP Detective Chris Crockett, who is investigating the case, or Commonwealth's Attorney Richard Bottoms could be reached for comment this morning.

Elwyn would not elaborate on the "sexual performance" involving the student, but said it did not contain any physical contact.

"It did happen at the school, after school, and the student was aware of it," Elwyn said.

State police still have two other computers that have yet to be examined, Elwyn said.

"The investigation is continuing," he said.

Central Kentucky News Articles