Lunch crowd evacuated in restaurant fire
Lunchtime customers were evacuated from Western Sizzlin' on Southtown Drive Friday when a small fire above the kitchen filled the restaurant with smoke.
Danville Fire Chief Mike Thomas said firefighters got the call about 11:30 a.m. and a crowd of customers and employees were gathered outside by the time the first crews responded.
"The employees were very good about getting people out of the building," Thomas said.
The business remained closed for about 45 minutes while the smouldering fire was extinguished. Thomas said a preliminary investigation indicates the fire may have been electrical, perhaps originating from a neon sign outside the building.