Boyle's Young, Cloud add one more win

June 20, 2004|MARTY WARREN

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. - Boyle County teammates Brad Cloud and Ian Young won four high school state titles, and they were determined not to lose their final high school game - the 21st Kentucky-Tennessee All-Star Football Classic.

Kentucky rallied from behind twice here Friday and managed to pick up its fourth win in the last five games with an exciting 28-23 victory.

Cloud, a safety who was credited with six tackles, said it was just fun to have the chance to represent Kentucky and play one last high school game.

"It feels nice to be able to go out one more time and get a win before I go off to (Western Kentucky University)," the defensive back said. "It was a sweet feeling to be around the best high school players in the state."


Young said he wasn't used to having to play from behind in any game, but with the way the Kentucky offense - led by Danville running back Charles Penix and the strong arm of Mason County quarterback Dustin Grutza - was moving the ball up and down the field, he had little doubt that they would come back to win.

"All of these guys are talented or they wouldn't be here," Young said. "Not once did I hear the word quit on the sideline. I thought coming in here that we would have some individuals out here trying to pad their stats, but I honestly didn't see that when the game started. We played as a team and we played to win."

Young forced a fumble on a screen pass to Maurice Jones on Tennessee's third series of the game to help Kentucky get on the scoreboard. Jones had already passed the line of scrimmage when Young reached from behind and stripped the ball away.

"Our coaching staff talked to us all week about how Tennessee liked to throw the screen pass," Young, an Eastern Kentucky signee, said. "I saw that the back was flaring out and was able to catch him from behind and force a fumble."

Cloud also was in on his share of big plays. He stopped Tennessee reserve quarterback Michael Edmiston, who has signed with Ole Miss, by his shoetops on a quarterback draw that went for a 9-yard gain four plays before Tennessee's first touchdown gave them a 6-3 lead.

He teamed with Fort Campbell's Gio Love to stop Jeremy Gettis at the Kentucky 1-yard line after a 14 yard pass. He injured his stomach on the play and left the game, and Tennessee scored to cut the lead to 22-20. Cloud was able to return on the next series.

On Kentucky's first play following the touchdown, Warren Central's Lonnell Dewalt, who is heading to the University of Kentucky to play both football and basketball, fumbled after a pass completion and Tennessee recovered at the Kentucky 23. It took seven plays and two penalties before Tennessee got the lead when Shane Normandin's field goal attempt hit the right upright and bounced off the crossbar before going through to make it 23-22 with 7:18 to play.

Still, Kentucky's offense drove down the field to regain the lead.

"Our offense stepped up the whole game and moved the ball anytime they wanted to," Cloud said. "The game really should not have been as close as it was. If you take away the interception that went for a touchdown, the game isn't close."

Young is already excited about getting to continue to play his college football with Danville's Penix and Mark Dunn, whom he practiced with all week but was unable to play with due to personal reasons.

"It should be really fun getting to play four more years with these guys," Young said. "This has been an unbelievable experience and one that I will never forget."

Central Kentucky News Articles