* Microsoft has released the July Windows security updates, which address issues found in its Internet Explorer Web browser and its Outlook Express e-mail client. Two of the seven updates are listed as critical. Learn more.
* PhoneGaim is a new telephony offering for desktop Linux users. The software incorporates SIP technology and instant messaging with the use of Gaim. Gaim is an instant messaging client that allows its users to chat with users of AOL, MSN, Yahoo, ICQ and other instant message services. With the combination of SIP and Gaim, PhoneGaim will allow two-way phone calls over the Internet to regular phones, in addition to free calls to and from PhoneGaim users. The software is expected to be available on other platforms in the near future. Read more here and here.
* SIPphone has revamped its "5 Free Minutes" call plan. It offers two levels of service: Basic, for customers who use SIPphone software or non-SIPphone hardware to connect, and Plus, for customers who use SIP Minutes or SIPphone hardware.
Among the most significant changes were including the basic SIP software users in the five, free, one-minute calls per day and expanding free international calls to include 30 countries. That's a major jump from the initial 11. It also increased its Plus members' maximum call limit to five minutes. Learn more.
* SIPphone currently has a sale now through Wednesday on SIP minutes for U.S. calls at the rate of 2.28 cents per minute. Point your browser to http://sipphone.com/minutes for details.
* Two versions of the fourth generation of iPods were launched last Monday. Apple has released a 20GB model for $299 and a 40GB model for $399, both stark white in color. Read more.
Sites to see
n Camp eBay is the perfect online detour to learn about eBay, shop for great deals and win terrific prizes now through Sept. 30. In addition, the Camp eBay Mobile Tour will be appearing at various events and concerts throughout the U.S. this summer. To participate online, you must be a registered eBay member and at least 18 years of age. For all the details, visit www.campebay.com.
E-mail me at sheila@ amnews.com; fax me at (859) 236-9566; or write me snail-mail at The Advocate-Messenger, P.O. Box 149, Danville, KY 40423-0149.