Police News for July 30

July 30, 2004

Fire damages Liberty residence

LIBERTY - Three occupants escaped injuries in an early morning fire Thursday that heavily damaged a residence at 338 Wolford St.

Fire Chief Donald Wilson said when firefighters arrived at 1 a.m., smoke was coming out the front door of the small brick and Bedford stone house.

A neighbor reported the fire, and several people knocked on the door to awaken the three people in the house - Dale Reynolds, grandson of the former owner, and Kay and Eric May. Wilson said Reynolds was asleep on the main floor and the others were in the basement. Eric May told Wilson he smelled smoke and attempted to get out of the upstairs but was unable to because of smoke and flames. He escaped through the basement.


Wilson said the fire apparently started in a hallway near the living room, which had the heaviest damage. It took 13 firefighters 10 to 15 minutes to bring the fire under control, the fire chief said.

The house had belonged to Grace Reid, who died a couple of weeks ago, Wilson said.

Alex Wesley, state police arson investigator, has been called to investigate.

Barn burns near McKinney

McKINNEY - A barn on Geneva-McKinney Road in Lincoln County is being called a total loss today after a fire swept through it early this morning. According to emergency dispatchers, the barn was almost burned to the ground when firefighters arrived about 4:13 a.m. Stations 1, 3, 4 and 8 were on the scene to control the blaze and nearby grass fire. No injuries were reported, and the state police arson investigator has not been called.

Superintendent fined after entering plea

MARION (AP) - Suspended Crittenden County school Superintendent Fredericka Hargis was fined $500 and ordered to get counseling after entering an Alford plea to a second-degree wanton endangerment charge.

In an Alford plea, a person does not admit guilt but concedes there is probably enough evidence for a conviction.

The charge stemmed from a February incident in which Hargis was accused of running over a woman's foot with her car.

Hargis had faced up to one year in jail for the misdemeanor charge.

Instead, special prosecutor Dan Boaz of Paducah offered to conditionally discharge 180 days in jail as long as Hargis doesn't commit other crimes, pays her fine and stays away from the victim.

Hargis paid her fine immediately after the hearing Wednesday.

Hargis' attorney, Allen Holbrook of Owensboro, said he believed the incident was not a criminal matter. But he said the cost of fighting the charge was considered when deciding to enter the plea.

Hargis is leaving the western Kentucky county for a new job as an elementary school principal in Jefferson County.

She is a former teacher and principal in Lincoln County.

Central Kentucky News Articles