* Mikrotec - Propel Accelerator Mikrotec Edition: Subscribers have three levels of service to choose from:
Super Fast Promotion - Get the first month for $9.95 at signup, second month for $9.95 and third month for $17.95. Free Super Fast for six months and after six months it costs an additional $2.95 per month.
Mikrotec Super Fast is $20.90 for the initial charge and $20.90 per month thereafter.
Mikrotec Super Fast with a year contract costs $23.90 initial charge and $18.90 per month thereafter. A contract will be mailed to address used in signup.
Security flaw alert
A critical security flaw has been found in AOL Instant Messenger. An attacker can gain control of a computer user's system when the user has the AIM client set on the "Away" message. The flaw affects AIM clients including 5.5.3595 and others. AOL suggests that all AIM users update their systems to the latest version, which can be downloaded at www.aim.com. Learn more here and here.
* "The Spot," an online soap opera, has come back to life. The serial is much like the reality TV shows of today, with the exception that "The Spot" characters are actors and the storyline is a script. The serial is interactive and participation comes via two mediums, the Net and cellular phones. Learn more about "The Spot" at http://www.thespot.com/.
* Yahoo and Google, two top search engine services, have finally settled their patent disputes with the exchange of shares and patent licenses. Read more.
* Packet8, a broadband VoIP phone service, has released a firmware update for its DTA-310 unit. The version 12.39 firmware upgrade will give its users new features, including Call Return (*69), Call Waiting Disable (*70), Anonymous Call Block (*77) and Do Not Disturb (*78). Learn more about Packet8 features at www.packet8.net/about/features.asp.
Currently, Packet8 is the only broadband VoIP phone solution that offers local phone numbers in our five-county coverage area. They have local numbers for Bryantsville and Danville.
* J&R Music and Computer World is running a Packet8 promotion featuring its Freedom Unlimited service for $59.88. The price includes free activation (regularly $29.95), the first two months of service free of charge (regularly $19.95 per month), and free UPS ground shipping. Learn more here and here.
E-mail me at email@example.com; fax me at (859) 236-9566; or write me snail-mail at The Advocate-Messenger, P.O. Box 149, Danville, KY 40423-0149.