After leading by 21, Boyle falls to Lexington Catholic

August 22, 2004|MARTY WARREN

LEXINGTON - It's never an easy game when Boyle County and Lexington Catholic meet on the gridiron.

Catholic rallied from a 21-point third-quarter deficit and gambled by going for two on its final touchdown as the Knights rallied to snap Boyle's 25-game winning streak with a thrilling 43-42 win Saturday.

Boyle drove the length of the field one last time following the touchdown, but Adam Dickinson, who nailed all seven of his extra points, missed wide left on a 32-yard field goal attempt with 16 seconds to play.

"It's never easy when these two teams play," Boyle coach Chuck Smith said. "The game should have never come down to a field goal, and it wasn't Adam's fault we lost the game. I'm disappointed with our defense. We never made the plays and didn't give them any competition the whole game."


Catholic rallied with three scores to tie the game in the fourth quarter, but Boyle regained the lead on Brandon Smith's 11-yard touchdown run with 4:26 to play. Catholic had one last rally, though, and scored with 2:19 to play when Justin Burke connected with Cornell Burbage on a 2-yard touchdown pass to pull Catholic to within one at 42-41.

Catholic coach Bob Sphire elected to go for two points and the lead, and the Knights worked the play to perfection when Burke hit Tyler Hinkel in the corner of the end zone.

"We got tired, but that is no excuse," Smith said. "We couldn't stop them all night and blew opportunities early in the game. Overall, we will learn from this loss."

Turnovers hurt Boyle worse

Both teams were plagued by turnovers throughout the first quarter, but it hurt Boyle worse than Catholic. The Rebels were in scoring position twice but had a pass picked off at the Knights' 10 and fumbled another time on the 16.

Boyle finally dented the scoreboard to begin the second quarter, but it took four plays from inside the 10-yard line to do so. The Rebels took over after an interception by Philip Dean at the Catholic 17, took seven plays to go the distance and scored when Brandon Smith juggled the ball briefly before scoring from 1 yard out.

Two plays later, Hagen Smith recovered a fumble at the Boyle 48. The Rebels used some trickery on their next play when Greg Peck took the ball on a reverse and raced untouched down the right sideline to score from 52 yards.

Taking over with five minutes to play in the first half, Catholic used a no-huddle offense to race downfield for its first touchdown. Burke connected for 28 yards to Kevin Vogelsang and 14 yards to Hinkel during the drive, which concluded when Burke kept the ball on an option and scored from 20 yards out to make it 14-7 with 3:57 left in the second quarter.

Boyle, however, wasted little time scoring to regain a two touchdown advantage. Taking over at their own 22, the Rebels went the distance in just seven plays. The key plays in the drive were passes of 24 yards to Seth Tamme and 24 yards to Peck, and Smith capped the drive on a 7-yard run with 1:26 to play in the half.

An unsuccessful onside kick attempt gave Catholic excellent field position at its own 36, and the Knights scored just before the half on Burke's 2-yard run to cut Boyle's lead to 21-14.

Central Kentucky News Articles