Boyle County wins battle of big plays with Danville

September 05, 2004|JILL ERWIN

Boyle County trailed Danville by two points and had just turned the ball over to the Admirals as the first half wound down Friday at Rebel Stadium. But as they have done so many times, the Rebels pulled out a couple more big plays.

Boyle senior Evan Teague forced a Danville fumble and then caught a touchdown pass six plays later with just under 40 seconds to play, changing the momentum and helping push Boyle to a 37-30 victory over the Admirals.

Those were just two big plays in a game filled with them. A 53-yard scoring pass was answered by a 75-yard scoring run. An interception was followed by a lost fumble.

In all, 12 plays of 20 or more yards each led to 895 yards of offense in a game that switched momentum on seemingly every possession.


"It was a really exciting game for the fans to watch," Boyle coach Chuck Smith said. "I don't think myself or (Dan-ville assistant) Jerry Perry either one liked the game because there was absolutely no defense at all."

There were seven lead changes in the game, as almost every big score was answered immediately.

Teague's TD may have been biggest of them all

Teague's touchdown may have been the biggest of them all as Danville was looking toward rolling into halftime with a lead. Instead, the Rebels headed to the locker room in front 20-16.

After Teague stripped the ball from Danville quarterback Ronnie Hawkins, teammate Phillip Dean recovered it with 3:11 to play in the half. Three runs and two passes later, Brandon Smith found Teague for a 21-yard scoring pass that he bobbled once before pulling it in and giving Boylethe lead.

"It just gave us a lot of momentum and fired us up," Teague said. "We came out after that on defense and went after the ball."

"Midway through the third quarter, our defense, for the first time this year, started playing with some heart and some enthusiasm," Smith said. "Maybe we needed Danville to bring that out of us."

Danville (2-1) would gain just 133 yards of offense on Boyle (2-1) in the second half, after picking up 297 in the first. But the longest play of the game wasn't on offense at all.

The Admirals regained the lead just 15 seconds into the second half when freshman Tyrell Johnson took the kickoff and returned it 85 yards for a 23-20 Danville lead.

After a 32-yard field goal from Adam Dickinson tied the game, Danville's Kelvin Turner zig-zagged his way down the field for a 49-yard touchdown to put Danville in front 30-23 with 4:30 to play in the third quarter.

Turner rushed for 218 yards despite illness

It was the second score of the game (he had a 75-yard run in the second quarter) and Turner's 200th yard of the game. He finished with 218 yards on 18 carries despite not having eaten a solid meal since Monday.

Turner missed practice all week with an illness and coach Sam Harp said he didn't expect much from the Mr. Football candidate Friday. Turner played only sparingly offense, missing out at linebacker and on special teams.

"I thought if we got a half out of him, we'd be lucky," Harp said. "I tried to save him a little bit of gas so he could be out there offensively."

Boyle tied the game with less than 40 seconds to play in the third quarter when Seth Tamme caught a 40-yard pass from Smith after getting wide open in the secondary.

Then, with 5:47 to play, Quinn Givhan took a handoff from Smith and rumbled 69 yards down the Boyle sideline for the game-winning touchdown.

"That's why I ran track right there," Givhan said. "A lot of times we count on our coaches to put us in big plays, and big players make big plays. When you're in a big game, you've just got to come through."

Interception all but ends Danville's hopes

Danville advance the ball to the Boyle 27 before losing yards on two consecutive plays. Facing fourth-and-11 from the Boyle 34, Hawkins was intercepted by Tamme with 3:17 to play, all but ending Danville's hopes of winning.

"Coaches had been getting on me about coming up and making some plays," Tamme said. "I let some go, which is really irritating to me, but we got away with the win. Whatever, we won and it's awesome. Danville's a heck of a football team."

Harp complained to the official, looking for a pass interference call on the play, but to no avail.

Danville's offense was almost exclusively based on the run - Hawkins completed one pass for three yards while playing with an injured shoulder - while Boyle's was much more evenly balanced. The Rebels ran for 226 yards and threw for 235 as Smith completed 15 of 24 passes.

Givhan led Boyle with 143 yards rushing and scored twice. He said this is a game he'll remember for some time.

"Senior year, Danville, crosstown ... if that's not the tops, I don't know what could beat that other than a state championship," Givhan said.

Central Kentucky News Articles