Deal offered Danville man who claims police brutality

September 21, 2004|LIZ MAPLES

The prosecution offered a resolution Monday in its case against a Danville man, who is accused of attacking police and who has accused police of brutality.

Robbie Houston, 43, will be back in Boyle District Court 1:30 p.m. Nov. 1. His Frankfort attorney, Willie Peale, asked the court Monday that Houston and his family be given time to consider the deal, the details of which were not disclosed.

Houston has said that while being arrested in June officers treated him roughly, and he had to defend himself. He said he was hit with a metal baton, sprayed with chemicals, punched and kneed. He also said that a police officer drove his cruiser into another vehicle while trying to take him to jail.

Police released a different version of the events in documents of an internal investigation that were obtained Monday by The Advocate-Messenger. Here is the police department's account:


On a June afternoon dispatchers told police that there was a report of a black male with a gun in Parkside East apartment parking lot, who had the last name "Houston."

Sgt. Tony Gray recognized Houston sitting in a car. Three officers began to frisk Houston and another man in the car. Houston resisted. Three officers tried to control Houston, but were unable. A fourth officer struck Houston's leg with a baton, but together the four officers couldn't place handcuffs on Houston.

Backup was called. Before they arrived, the four officers were able to cuff Houston's hands in the front of his body. James Hunn, a resident, talked Houston into getting into the cruiser. A police officer backed into a parked Jeep when trying to drive Houston to jail.

Another officer drove Houston to jail, and on the way Houston kicked out a window of the cruiser.

No gun or weapons were found on Houston. Two or three weeks later police said that Houston reported his handgun missing from his apartment.

Houston has been charged with four felony counts of assaulting a police officer, and three misdemeanors, resisting arrest, disorderly conduct and criminal mischief.

He has been released on a $500 cash bond after the Rev. William Jenkins of St. James AME Church and others appealed to the court to reduce it from $40,000.

Central Kentucky News Articles