KSD avenges loss

Garrard rolls 7-1, but Danville loses

September 26, 2004

Tyler Burke scored twice and assisted on another goal to help the Kentucky School for the Deaf boys beat Cincinnati St. Rita School for the Deaf 3-2 in their homecoming game Saturday at Admiral Stadium.

KSD finally beat St. Rita in their third meeting this season. The two teams played to a scoreless tie in Cincinnati, and St. Rita beat the Colonels 3-2 in Columbus, Ohio.

"It was very, very sweet to come back and beat them 3-2, the score that they beat us on," KSD coach Paul Smiley said.

Burke assisted a first-half goal by Travis Ornoza that started the scoring, then scored his first goal when he rebounded Brad Davis' blocked shot to give KSD a 2-0 halftime lead.


St. Rita's Randall Powers scored in the 43rd minute, but KSD answered when Burke took a pass from Denny Smallwood and faked out the Lions' goalkeeper in the 48th minute. St. Rita added one more goal on a penalty kick in the 62nd minute.

KSD outshot St. Rita 21-10.

Defender Zack Carson was named the Colonels' most valuable player, leading a unit that also included defenders Drew Meade, Greg Warren and Roderick Hodge and midfielder Jeremy Latimore. Hodge and Burke were named the outstanding defensive and offensive players, respectively, and Meade won the sportsmanship award.

Garrard County 7, Campbellsville 1 - At Campbellsville, three goals by Jacob Denny and a goal and an assist by Micah Wade helped Garrard (12-1-1) roll over Campbellsville (4-6-2).

Will Keeton started Garrard's scoring 90 seconds into the game off Denny's indirect kick, and Denny took a pass from Wade to make it 2-0 midway through the first half, then capped the first-half scoring with a late unassisted goal.

Corey Horn, Pat Kluesener and Wade scored in the second half - Denny had two assists and Horn had one - before Campbellsville scored in the final 90 seconds.

Garrard coach Jonathan Martin said the Golden Lions got strong play from midfielder Wade and defender Anthony Henderson.

It was Campbellsville's second straight game against Garrard, which outscored the Eagles 14-1 in the two meetings and has outscored its opponents 77-10 on the season.

St. Patrick 2, Danville 1 - At Frankfort, St. Patrick (4-5) scored on a penalty kick with 25 minutes left to take the lead and held off Danville (6-4) in the first round of the All "A" Classic.

Danville tied the game at 1-1 when Jordan Gay scored off a Jeff Ricker assist 90 seconds into the second half, but the Admirals never found the net again.

"We had several opportunities, but we just couldn't find the mark," Danville coach Gary Reynolds said. "We were not playing as well as we had hoped that we would, but we were making some good things happen."

Danville finished the game with a one-man disadvantage after a defender was ejected for the foul that precipitated the penalty kick. Reynolds did not name the player.

The Admirals outshot St. Patrick 14-6.

"We are expecting to come back to this tournament, and we hope that the kids will be excited about returning next year," Reynolds said.

Taylor Lamblin was named Danville's all-tournament team representative.

Central Kentucky News Articles