Boyle opens district play with big win

October 03, 2004|LARRY VAUGHT

Seth Tamme preferred to call it a "team victory" rather than talk about the role he played in Boyle County's 45-13 win. However, Tamme wouldn't deny that opening Class AAA district play with such a convincing win over Pulaski Southwestern here Friday night should send a message to future opponents.

"We fired on all cylinders and kind of made a statement to show the rest of the district that we are not done yet and not to count us out," said Tamme.

The Rebels have won five straight state championships, but lost to two AAA teams (Lexington Catholic and Highlands) earlier this season before putting together a solid effort to stop Southwestern.

Boyle's defense limited Southwestern running back Lee Renfro to 42 yards on 13 carries, about 165 yards below his average. Nine of his runs gained less than two yards or lost yardage. That forced Southwestern to go to the air a surprising 20 times and gave Tamme a chance to pick off two passes.


"We figured they would go to Renfro the whole game, but then they came out throwing after they got behind because they couldn't run," Tamme said.

Tamme also caught eight passes for 125 yards and one touchdown from Boyle quarterback Brandon Smith, who was 23-for-36 passing for 272 yards and three scores, and set up another score with a punt return. Running back Quinn Givhan, who missed the second half of Boyle's previous game two weeks ago at Highlands with a stomach injury, ran for 99 yards and three scores.

"Brandon was not as sharp as he could have been. He got to aiming the ball instead of just throwing it," Boyle coach Chuck Smith said. "But Seth made some big plays for him and our offensive line did a good job opening holes.

"We shuffled some people around on defense, and that helped. We made them have to throw the ball because we defended the run well, something we have not consistently done this year."

Opening kickoff return for touchdown nullified

Any chance Southwestern had to stay in the game may have disappeared on the opening kickoff when a 90-yard touchdown return by Clay Welch was nullified by a penalty. Boyle's defense held and after the Rebels took over at their own 31-yard line following a 17-yard punt return by Tamme, it took just two plays for Smith to find a wide-open Tamme for a 19-yard scoring pass.

"That was huge," Tamme said. "We got a big break, made a nice defensive stand and then executed our offense. I was so open that I was just praying I would not drop the ball."

"You can't allow special teams touchdowns," Chuck Smith said. "But if there hadn't been a clip on the play, maybe he would not have scored. What counted was that we regrouped, came together and played a much more consistent game defensively and did not give up the big plays we have been."

Boyle went 61 yards in eight plays on its next drive to score on Givhan's 3-yard run when he went airborne to avoid the final tackler.

After Tamme's interception, Boyle drove 72 yards in eight plays to score again on Givhan's 19-yard run where he started up the middle, cut outside and outran everyone to the end zone.

"As usual, he ran hard," the Boyle coach said.

The Rebels (4-2) responded to Southwestern's only first-half drive - which reached the Boyle 19 before three penalties pushed the Warriors back to the 47 - by going 83 yards in nine plays to tally on Smith's 3-yard pass to Evan Teague for a 28-0 halftime lead.

Southwestern did drive 59 yards to score on its first possession in the third quarter on Renfro's 1-yard run. The big play in the drive was a 34-yard pass to Dustin Thrasher, who had four catches for 88 yards and accounted for more than half of Southwestern's offense on those receptions.

Boyle answered with a 12-play, 80-yard drive that included passes to three receivers before Givhan tallied on a 1-yard run.

Adam Dickinson's 27-yard field goal early in period four made it 38-7 and Brandon Smith threw 17 yards to Casey Brummett, who had five catches for 73 yards, for the final Boyle touchdown.

Southwestern (4-2) gained 70 of its 170 total yards on its final drive that produced the game's last touchdown.

The only bad part of the game for Boyle was that senior lineman Brandon Record and senior receiver-linebacker Greg Peck sat out the second half with injuries. Record hurt his knee and Peck had a hip pointer.

"I don't know how bad either one is, but they both may not be able to play next week," Chuck Smith said.

"We can't do quite as many things on defense when we don't have them.

"But we had some other guys play well tonight and if they can't go next week, then somebody else has to fill those roles. That's what a good team does and tonight we finally showed some signs of coming together like I want."

Central Kentucky News Articles