Garrard's fast start beats Mercer 4-0

October 08, 2004|MIKE MARSEE

HARRODSBURG - Garrard County has gotten good at getting the jump on its opponents. Now the Golden Lions' coach hopes they'll show the same ferocity at the end of their games.

As they have done so often this season, the Garrard boys hit the ground running Thursday at Mercer County, scoring twice in the first eight minutes.

That made for another easy evening for the Lions, who went on to beat Mercer 4-0 for their 11th straight victory.

"We've been fortunate to come out in just about every game and get the first one," senior midfielder Corey Horn said. "Once we get that first goal, it builds the team momentum up and pushes everybody to get another and another."


Garrard coach John Martin said he'd like to see his team keep pushing through the second half, which he said it didn't do in this game.

"When we get a lead on teams of three or four goals, we've been complacent and very sloppy in the second half," Martin said. "We've done that game after game this year. We have a lead, and they think it's time to go one on one."

Still, that's one of the few faults of a team that hasn't lost since Sept. 4 and has developed the most prolific offense in the state.

Tops in the state in goals

Garrard (15-1-1) has now outscored its opponents 86-10, and the Lions' goal total remains the best in the state.

The Lions scored their second 4-0 win over Mercer (5-11) in 16 days, and they said they wanted to end the Scotties' hopes for an upset right away.

"Coach tried to get us ready to play and get us focused," senior midfielder Jacob Denny said.

They outshot the Scotties 34-8, firing seven shots in the first 10 minutes and continuing their attack throughout the first half.

Micah Wade, another midfielder and another member of Garrard's senior class, started the scoring just 3 minutes, 19 seconds into the game. Mercer goalkeeper Justin Morgan was drawn out of the net to stop a shot by Denny, and Wade was waiting in front of the right post to put the rebound into the net.

Denny, the state's leading scorer with 33 goals, got his only goal of the game with 32:24 left in the first half when he took the ball at midfield, pushed his way past two Mercer defenders and beat Morgan one on one.

The Lions were quiet until the 2:22 mark, when Will Keeton fired from about 25 yards out into the upper left corner of the goal.

Juan Ovando scored Garrard's final goal from about 10 yards out with 18:16 left in the second half.

Keeton, Pat Kluesener and Justin Christian had assists for the Lions.

Lawwill's ninth shutout

There wasn't much action on the other end of the field, where Garrard's defense kept Mercer in check and goalkeeper Corey Lawwill earned his ninth shutout of the season and his sixth in the last seven games.

Much of the offense Mercer generated came in the second half.

"They played extremely hard in the second half," Martin said. "They really challenged us a lot."

Still, Martin said Garrard has played only three "complete games" with the same level of intensity from start to finish, and he said this wasn't one of them.

"I've been extremely happy with a lot of halves this year," Martin said.

Central Kentucky News Articles