Special teams make big plays in Boyle's 76-6 win

October 24, 2004|MARTY WARREN

Mission accomplished.

Boyle County coach Chuck Smith wanted to motivate his special teams with a special challenge, and his Rebels responded Friday night by blocking two punts as they rolled to an easy 76-6 Class AAA district win over Taylor County.

Boyle returned one blocked punt to set up a touchdown and recovered the other one in the end zone, both in the first quarter.

On senior night at Rebel Stadium, the Rebels (7-2, 4-0 district) raced to a 35-0 lead after one period despite running just six plays from the line of scrimmage. When they did get the opportunity, they were razor sharp.


Senior quarterback Brandon Smith competed eight of nine passes for 178 yards and four scores. Senior Quinn Givhan ran 12 times for 132 yards and scored twice, while senior kicker Adam Dickinson nailed nine straight extra points attempts and two field goal attempts - both on first down.

"Our coaches have really been getting on our special teams for not coming out and making plays," junior Seth Tamme said. "We usually have blocked four or five punts before now and we went into this game with none. We went after ball hard tonight and it showed on the scoreboard."

Chuck Smith agreed.

"We wanted them to have more impact on the game," the Boyle coach said. "We need to make our own breaks and we did that tonight. I was pleased with the way we played. We need that type of play this time of the year to be successful."

The certainly didn't pull any punches Friday. After Taylor (1-8, 1-3) went three-and-out to start the game, Greg Peck blocked Taylor's punt and Evan Teague scooped it up and returned the ball to the 1-yard line, and Givhan scored on the next play for a 7-0 lead less than two minutes into the game.

Some razzle-dazzle

The Rebels used razzle-dazzle to score on their next possession. Smith connected on a short pass to Tamme, who flipped the ball to Givhan on the hook-and-lateral play and he went 41 yards for the score.

Tamme's 8-yard touchdown catch after Smith had connected with Josh Miller for 40 yards gave the Rebels a 21-0 lead and Tamme faked a reverse to Hagen Smith on a punt return and raced 38 yards to score to give Boyle a 28-0 cushion.

Boyle had set up the reverse on the previous punt when Tamme handed the ball off to Smith, but everyone took the fake on the second punt.

"Everybody just went the other way," Tamme said. "I only had one man to beat and I lost my balance, but Greg (Peck) was there to help me get in."

Phillip Dean got the final score of the period when he blocked a punt in the end zone and immediately fell on it to give Boyle a 35-0 lead after one period.

Smith had scoring passes of 7 yards to Casey Brummett, 14 yards to Teague and 10 yards to Peck to lead 56-0 with 6:55 to play in the half.

Long gains on first down by Givhan - for 21 and 33 yards - gave Dickinson a chance to nail a pair of field goals from 27 and 40 yards to give the Rebels a 62-0 advantage at the half.

"This was about as sharp as we have been all year," Smith said. "We threw the ball well, our receivers caught it well and our backs ran hard. The line opened some huge holes for them to run through.

"I am concerned about our lack of plays on offense, though. We need to play at least three quarters this time of year and we're not. It's not good, but there is nothing we can do about it."

Danny Commarford scored from 5 yards out and Paul Keen from 4 to complete the Boyle scoring. Taylor, which was held to just 76 yards total offense, finally got on the scoreboard when Chase Porter raced 13 yards late in the game.

Central Kentucky News Articles