Danville girls oust Lincoln

October 26, 2004|MIKE MARSEE

The Danville girls may not have controlled the entire game Monday night, but they didn't let Lincoln County control any of it.

Danville kept its season going by keeping Lincoln from mounting any kind of sustained threat in a 3-0 win at Admiral Stadium that sent the Admirals to the championship of the 15th Region Tournament.

"The games we always do well in are when we control it and the game is played on the other team's half," Danville coach Michael Lauer said. "The game kind of had three phases. We controlled the beginning, then it became more of a 50-50 game, and in the second half we controlled it again."

What the Admirals (14-3-1) didn't do was allow Lincoln (14-3-3) to do what it wanted to do, at least not for any sustained period.


"I knew Danville would be better foot-skilled than us; that's just their years of experience," Lincoln coach Wiley Faw said. "We were going to have to beat them over the top, and they defended well against it."

Danville advanced to the regional final at 6 p.m. Wednesday against Somerset (16-3-1), which defeated Marion County 3-0 in Monday's first semifinal. The Admirals will be looking to avenge a 5-4 shootout loss Sept. 7 in the All "A" Classic regional.

"I think the girls are very excited, not only to be in the regional finals, but also to play a team they lost to," Lauer said. "I think it's going to be a great game. It's going to go down to the last."

Lincoln came to Danville looking to extend its best season ever. The Patriots were making their first regional appearance - they had never even won a district tournament game before this season.

"Hopefully this changes the way people look at Lincoln soccer," Faw said. "I don't think it was quite 3-0 bad. The game wasn't as bad as the score was."

Ads get 30 more shots

But Danville outshot Lincoln 33-3 - Tasha Milby had eight shots - and Danville goalkeeper Liz Ruth didn't have to make a single save.

McKenzie McAfee launched a shot over Lincoln goalkeeper Jenny Jones from about 18 yards out to give the Admirals the lead 8 minutes, 23 seconds into the game.

The score stayed at 1-0 until midway through the second half, when Milby took the ball about 60 yards away from the Lincoln goal, drove downfield with three teammates flanking her and fired a shot from the top of the penalty box that banked off the crossbar and into the goal.

Jordan Davis put the game out of reach with 14:10 to play when she headed Alex Meckes' corner kick past Jones - who had 12 saves - from 10 yards out.

"We've been waiting for somebody to score on a headball, and I'm happy it happened now," Lauer said.

Lincoln's best scoring chance came early in the second half when Ruth was drawn out of the net and a Lincoln attacker got behind her. But Danville's Hannah Martin broke up the play to help preserve the shutout.

Faw said the Patriots had hoped to push the ball forward toward Shawna Noakes, but Danville defender TaShaunda Walker kept her in check.

"She marked (Noakes) all night and kept her shut down," he said.

This was the last game for Faw, a former Lincoln boys player who said he plans to resign because of his new job as an adult education teacher in Bourbon County.

"It's been an excellent season," he said. "I'm really going to miss them next year."

Central Kentucky News Articles