DePauw tops Centre 41-26

October 31, 2004|MARTY WARREN

Centre College gave up two long pass plays to fall behind 21-3, and the Colonels could never recover as they dropped a 41-26 decision to DePauw in their final home game Saturday at Farris Stadium.

It was the fourth straight loss for Centre (3-6, 1-4 Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference), and it assured the Colonels of their first losing season since 1998.

"The kids played hard and are disappointed in the loss, but we just didn't get the things we needed out of our defense today," Centre coach Andy Frye said. "They are a little stronger than us up front, and that is something we will have to improve on. They were just better than we were today."

DePauw (6-2, 4-1) went 65 yards in 14 plays on its first possession to grab a quick 7-0 lead. Senior Matt McMahon ran the ball 10 times for 49 yards during the drive and scored from 3 yards out with 7:40 to play in the period.


Sophomore defensive-back Jeremy Ware recovered a fumble at the DePauw 6-yard line on the Tigers' next series. Two running plays by Jeremy Britt and a 3-yard pass to Zach Brooks placed the ball at the 1, but a procedure penalty moved the ball back to the five on fourth down and the Colonels settled for an 18-yard Chris Thompson field goal to trim the lead to 7-3 with 3:07 to play in the first period.

Adam Clark blocked a Bill Riley punt on the Tigers' next possession and the Colonels took over in excellent field po-sition at the DePauw 34. Once again, though, a penalty backed them up and DePauw took over at its own 26.

Two plays later, Jamarcus Shephard went in motion, the Centre secondary broke down and junior quarterback Ross Wiethoff found Shephard wide open over the middle for a 70-yard touchdown strike to give Depauw a 14-3 lead.

Later in the half, the same combination hooked up again. After a Thompson punt rolled dead at the Tigers' 44, Wiethoff again found a wide open Shephard over the middle and hit him in stride for a 56-yard touchdown catch and a 21-3 Depauw lead with 5:50 left in the half.

"It wasn't like we intended to break coverage, but we did and that set us back," Frye said. "What surprised me was we have never done that all year. We just didn't do the little things at times today."

Fake punt keeps drive alive

Centre, however, used an impressive 80-yard, 11-play drive to cut into the lead just before the half. David Crowley, who had 11 catches for 218 yards in the game and became the first Centre player ever to have 1,000 yards receiving in a season, had three catches for 37 yards in the drive, but it was a fake punt that kept the drive alive. Faced with a fourth-and-5 situation at its own 40, Will Hinkle took the snap from center while in punt formation and connected with Jarrod Zywien for 21 yards to the DePauw 39. Hinkle was on the receiving end of another key play in the series when he took a pass away from DePauw defender Cory Partlow at the 2-yard line, and senior quarterback Brian Behrendt lobbed a pass to Adam Clark in the end zone on the next play to cut the lead to 21-10.

Jeremiah Marks' 3-yard touchdown run accounted for the only points in the third quarter, and Wiethoff scored on a 1-yard sneak to start the fourth quarter to give the Tigers a 34-10 lead.

Things continued to look bleak for the Colonels when they gambled and lost on fourth down and DePauw took over at the Centre 43. Marks carried eight straight times to the 2-yard line, but fumbled and Chad Lawless recovered for the Colonels at the 3.

Behrendt found Brooks for 12 yards on the first play following the fumble, and connected with a wide-open Crowley down the sideline for an 85 yard touchdown on the next play. Behrendt passed to Rhese McKenzie for the two-point conversion to cut the lead to 34-18.

Following another DePauw score, the Colonels put their final points on the scoreboard with just 38 seconds to play when Crowley hauled in a 16 yard catch and also caught the two-point conversion pass.

Central Kentucky News Articles