Decker sentenced on rape charge

November 21, 2004|BOBBIE CURD

LANCASTER - Sentencing was held in Garrard County Circuit Court on Friday for Jeremy Decker, 21, of Kennedy Bridge Road.

Decker previously pleaded guilty to second degree rape, sexual misconduct and unlawful transaction with a minor (second and third degree).

Decker was sentenced to serve 60 days of his two-year sentence in the Lincoln County Regional Jail, with the balance probated. He was fined a total of $620.50.

According to court reports, in June of 2002, Decker was 18 years old and knowingly engaged in sexual intercourse with a 13-year-old minor. Statements from the victim's mother, as well as the owner of the establishment where Decker met the victim, showed he had been told more than once of the victim's age but continued to pursue her.

Decker's attorney, Bobby Gulette, asked Judge Hunter Daugherty to probate Decker's entire sentence.

Gulette said he didn't think the entire scenario should be blamed on Decker, that it happened "on a boat dock late at night" and mentioned that "the girl looked anything but 13" and gave some indications that the victim's behavior should also be in question.


Although Decker said he had no defense for his "misconduct," he gave a brief description of the minor as being "very sexual at everything she did" and a "party animal."

The mother of the victim appeared in court before the judge, standing about four feet from the defendant.

"I just want this to be over," the victim's mother said, adding that it had gone on for more than a year at this point, and as long as the defendant had no contact with her daughter she was fine with him being released on probation.

Daugherty did not agree.

"Mr. Decker, you are 21 years old," the judge said. "You have continued to make poor choices, you have had problems with drugs and alcohol, and you're not leading a responsible life."

Woosley also sentenced

Also sentenced Friday was Aaron Woosley, 19, 199 Mildred Lane, who previously pleaded guilty to third-degree burglary and theft in excess of $300, charges stemming from 2003.

Woosley, with public defender Suzanne McCollough, asked Daugherty if he could be released on probation since he had already served 161 days of his one-year sentence.

Woosley's parole officer, however, did not recommend probation. The officer's report noted a severe negative attitude from Woosely during a probationary meeting, as well as continued laughter coming from the defendant.

Woosley blamed his attitude on medication " that still has me sleepy in the morning." He also admitted to the judge he had made several mistakes and wanted to make a better life for himself.

Daugherty was unmoved and denied parole. He said Woosley's "obvious lack of remorse" in the presence of a parole officer was a signal to the court that he had, in fact, not learned his lesson. Woosley was ordered to finish out his sentence and pay restitution totaling $3,020.50.

As Woosley walked away from the judge, he garishly gestured with his chained hands that he'd brushed the matter off his shoulder and no longer cared. Later, Woosley made a disturbance by continually pulling down his bright orange pants as well as making loud comments to the other inmates that carried out into the courtroom.

Woosley's behavior soon had him back before Daugherty who warned him his attitude would quickly get him six months added to his sentence if it continued.

Also Friday, Charles Graham, 38, 199 Mount Hebrew Road, pleaded not guilty to charges of kidnapping, impersonating a peace officer and fourth-degree assault.

Police said that on Aug. 13, Graham told a juvenile that he was a police officer and handcuffed him to a truck, restraining him for about an hour. Graham claimed to be an undercover officer and asked the juvenile to give him information about drugs.

The pretrial hearing for Graham is set Dec. 17 at 9 a.m..

Central Kentucky News Articles