Club seeking golf course liquor license

December 12, 2004|LIZ MAPLES

The state says that the only way Danville Country Club can remain private and serve its members alcohol is to have a golf course liquor license.

Voters in the Indian Hills precinct will decide Tuesday whether the club will be allowed to serve liquor-by-the-drink. If they do approve it, the Kentucky Alcoholic Beverage Control said the club will be able to serve alcohol in its restaurant and on the course.

John Clay, executive director of the ABC, explained how the liquor laws apply to the country club.

Even though the club is in the city limits and has a restaurant with at least 100 seats, its owners cannot apply for a restaurant license because the club isn't open to the public.

The club cannot apply for a private club license because those are only available to clubs in cities that are totally wet. In the eyes of the state, Danville's liquor-by-the-drink vote is equal to limited sales.


The club's only option is to apply for a golf course license, and that requires a vote in the precinct where the club is located.

If the voters approve the measure, and the city grants the golf course a license, then the club also will be able to sell alcohol in its restaurant, Clay said. With the golf course license, the city couldn't require the club to derive 70 percent of its revenue from food.

County voters will pay about $1,600 for the election in the Indian Hills precinct. Voters in the Lexington Road precinct passed a similar measure for Old Bridge, the county's public golf course, in 2003.

The country club would be regulated by Danville. If the city approves its application, the club will have to buy a $1,000 license and pay a regulatory fee, 5 percent of its gross sales receipts.

The country club filed a petition for a vote under the authority of KRS 242.123. The law allows limited sales of alcoholic beverages in a wet precinct that has a nine- or 18-hole course. The club, which only allows members and guests to play, has 18 holes. The club is only eligible for sales because Danville voted to go wet in November 2002.

The petition was filed with Boyle County Clerk Denise Curtsinger Sept. 30. It has at least the required 140 signatures from voters in the precinct, Curtsinger has said.

Central Kentucky News Articles