STANFORD - Students at Lincoln County High School and Middle School got sent back to elementary school this morning after a ruptured natural gas line forced evacuation of their campus on U.S. 27.
Stanford Fire Chief Kenny McDaniel said firefighters were called out at 8:05 a.m. after construction crews working on the new sixth-grade center accidentally hit the gas line just as students were arriving for classes. Buses and student drivers were rerouted to the elementary school in Stanford, where they waited for about 35 minutes before returning to campus, McDaniel said.
The line is owned by Atmos, which immediately shut down gas flow and had a crew working to repair the rupture this morning, McDaniel said.
Lincoln County Fire Station 1 also responded.