HARRODSBURG - A Monday night fire severely damaged the downtown home of a family who escaped the blaze because they were at the hospital with a member of the family.
The blaze was reported about 10:30 p.m. at 467 W. Broadway, "just down the street" from the fire station, said Harrodsburg Chief Charley Stinnett.
The home was owned by Bobby Douglas, and two adults and four children lived there, Stinnett said.
Flames caused extensive damage to the first floor, and the second story sustained smoke and water damage. It was an intense fire, he said. "The way it burned through the first floor, there was a lot of damage."
No one was home when the fire started. All of the family was at Ephraim McDowell Regional Medical Center, though the reason they were at the hospital wasn't immediately clear, Stinnett said.