Boyle County firefighters have been called to only one house chimney fire this fall, and the local office of Emergency Management wants that to be the last one.
Chimney fires are the most common fires during winter months and mostly are caused by creosote from green wood in fireplaces.
Lennie Shepperson, of the Danville-Boyle County office of Emergency Management, suggests cleaning chimneys annually, especially when using a fire place or wood-burning stove.
The creosote cooks out of the wood and sticks to chimneys. When there is a build up of the sticky creosote, it catches fire, Shepperson said.