HARRODSBURG - A local couple escaped their burning house early Monday after a Christmas tree fell on a kerosene heater and caught fire, a fire official said.
Joey Baker woke up about 1 a.m. Monday to find the blaze that caused heavy to severe damage to his house at 316 Barr St., said Bobby Joe Blacketer, captain of the Harrodsburg Fire Department.
Baker and his wife were home, and their two children were with grandparents.
The children apparently had been sleeping on the couch while their father was remodeling their bedroom, but decided to stay with their grandparents the night of the fire.
Blacketer said several members of the Mercer County and Harrodsburg fire departments brought items to the family, and Nicholasville Fire Department brought some toys left over from its Christmas project. Boyle County firefighters also helped out.