The program is administered by the Environmental and Public Protection Cabinet's Division of Waste Management.
The First Church of God grant was written and submitted in January so the church can provide a safe playground for the many children in the community.
Currently, the Central Kentucky Christian School uses the church's facility for preschool and daycare.
The church has an active children's ministry and serves children of all ages.
Members are involved in several community outreach efforts throughout the year, such as the annual Fall Festival and Vacation Bible School.
According to church officials, due to limited resources, no protective surface application has been used on the playground.
When notification of the opportunity to prepare a grant application was received, they felt it was something they should pursue.
The church board of trustees approved plans to revitalize the playground, and upgrade to a protective surface of waste tire crumb rubber with the help of funds from the grant.
In doing so, the board had to agree it was willing for the site to be used as a model for spreading environmental awareness of the Waste Tire Market to others.
Ann Upchurch, director of Christian education, wrote the grant and recommendation letters were submitted from several local officials, as well as ministry leaders within the church.
The amount received from the grant is 75 percent of the total cost of the crumb rubber mulch. The church will provide the remaining 25 percent.
Proper signage must be displayed, giving credit to the Division of Waste Management and EPPC for financial assistance.
Annual progress reports will be filed for two years following completion of the project.
As a direct contact educational experience, a member of the church who owns a local tire distribution and service center has agreed to give a presentation to children ages 5-10 attending the church.
By doing so, the children will be shown original tires contrasting with the new crumb rubber surface to increase their motivation to become stewards and protect the environment.
Once the notification was received concerning the award, steps were taken to begin the process of ordering the mulch and preparing the existing playground.
The crumb rubber mulch was delivered on Tuesday afternoon (22,770 pounds, - 759 bags at 30 pounds each) and about 30 adults and children unpacked and spread the mulch on the playground.
For more information, visit the church Web site at www.danvillechurchofGod.com. Photos of the mulch spreading are posted in the photo galleries section.