The residents, June Woodward and her son Randy Woodward, were assisted by Boyle County Emergency Medical Services and taken to Ephraim McDowell Regional Medical Center.
Thomas said Randy Woodward had burn injuries to his face and legs, while June Woodward did not appear to have burn injuries but was treated for smoke inhalation.
It took two fire trucks and about 20 firefighters to contain the blaze. In a mere 18 minutes, the fire was under control, he said. Firefighters stuck around to search for hot spots, as the fire extended into the attic. The fire also significantly damaged hallways in the home and rendered the residence uninhabitable.
In total, the fire did about $60,000 to $70,000 worth of damage to the home, Thomas said.
"There was no damage to nearby houses that we could see at 4 in the morning," Thomas said.
The fire originated in the craft room, or a reorganized bedroom, on the west side of the single-story, ranch-style home. Residents exited the home via a wheelchair ramp on the east side of the residence, Thomas said.
As of now, the fire department has not determined a direct cause of the fire. Thomas said the cause may have something to do with the reported oxygen tank fire, but the oxygen tank fire report is only a lead for the investigation.
"It may or may not have been the point of origin," he said.
View Larger Map