Peter Gilcher, one of the most widely-known Danville citizens, has passed away. He was a native of Germany and came to Danville in 1866. He first worked as a baker in the Chiles House on Main Street for several years, then he and his brother, Frank Gilcher, started their own bakery and confectionery business on Third Street. In 1880 they purchased the land at the southeast corner of Main and Third streets and built the handsome building, which is known as the Gilcher Hotel.
75 YEARS AGO - 1933
After 10 years of lobbying by The Advocate newspaper and Danville Mayor McIntyre, a new road will be built through Kentucky via Hustonville, Liberty, Russell Springs, Jamestown and Albany. Hon. Edward Gatliff, highway commissioner for the Ninth District, made an announcement in town that Kentucky will receive federal money of $8,000,000 to complete a section of Ky. 35, being a gap of the William Howard Taft Memorial Highway. This road will open up the direct route to the south into Danville. It also will give Danville residents a direct route to the Gulf of Mexico, Florida and Texas. Commissioner Gatliff gave the first report to the Kentucky Advocate, knowing what a force Danville's leading newspaper has been in this highway project.
A program will be held at the North Rolling Fork Church called "The Raspberry Revue." Luther Belcher, president of the North Rolling Fork community council, will preside. C.E. Miller, Boyle County Farm Bureau agent, will be one of the speakers. Prizes also will be awarded to the farmers with the best strawberry and raspberry patches.
A team representing the Danville Country Club will play its third match of the season in the Central Kentucky Golf League when they meet a team from Frankfort. The Danville golfers will leave at noon from the park, said Joe Burtman, golf pro at the club, and asked that team members be prompt. Local golfers include J.E. Butler, J.O. Stagg, Smith Dulin, Banks Hudson Jr., Joe Frankel, Walter Frankel, W.M. Galimore, Fisher Galimore, Howard Robertson, Ed Kubale, Jesse Knox, Jere Caldwell and Logan Caldwell. Joe Burman will accompany the team.
50 YEARS AGO - 1958
The new Greenleaf Shopping Center, built on 9.2 acres, is having a grand opening. It is the first and only planned shopping center in Danville. Stores having a grand opening include Martin-Durr Caldwell Interiors, Greenleaf Paint Co., Kenneth Sanders manager, and Super Key Market, operated by Guy Richardson and his father G.B. Richardson. Other business that will open soon at that location include Dr. W.H. Sanders, a dentist; and W.B. Masey Plumbing, Heating and Air. James Stagg, designer and builder of the center, said he expects Greenleaf to have at least 20 tenants soon. A new Actna-Ashland service station also is going to be built in the corner of the shopping center parking lot.
The Key Super Market, which is opening in the new Greenleaf Shopping Center, is actually a continuation of the business well-known here for 23 years as Richardson's Grocery that was located at the corner of Stanford Road and Walnut Street. George Richardson first opened the grocery at that location in 1935. His wife, Clara E. Richardson, serves as bookkeeper. All 10 employees are staying with the business and include, Robert Owens, meat department; Carl McMullin, meat department assistant; Josh Douglas, stock; Rube Curd, produce; and Billy Williams.
25 YEARS AGO - 1983