The Aspire one is expected to be released by late summer or early fall in the U.S. Read more about the Aspire one at this linkand this link. Also visit www.umpcportal.com/products/product.php?id=207.
Acer's official page for the Aspire one is located at www.acer.com/aspireone/.
* The unofficial number of Firefox 3 downloads is more than 8 million in a 24-hour period. The official count is expected to be made and released by Guiness judges shortly. Keep track of the record attempt at the official Spread Firefox site at www.spreadfirefox.com/en-US/worldrecord.
* In other Firefox news, five hours after the new release of the browser, a critical flaw was reported in the browser. The details of the flaw are not being made public until a fix is created.
* Low-cost desktops now have been added to the list of systems able to continue being available with XP pre-installed. Read more in a roundup CNET blog entry at http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-9968449-56.html?tag=bl.
The blog includes all four top computer companies - HP, Lenovo, Acer and Dell - in the XP roundup.
* openSuse 11.0 was released Thursday. The lastest version of this Linux distro comes with more than 200 new features; an easier, redesigned, faster package management with major updates in the ZYpp stack, KDE 4, GNOME 2.22, Firefox 3, Compiz Fusion; and much more. Learn more about the new openSUSE at http://en.opensuse.org/OpenSUSE_11.0.
* On Thursday, Apple released a new version of Safari for Windows to secure a high-profile flaw in the browser. The browser update is only for the Windows version, not Mac versions. The new Safari for Windows version 3.1.2 can be downloaded from Apple downloads at www.apple.com/support/downloads/.
* Apple will be using the ZFS desktop file system for its Snow Leopard server. The ZFS file system is an open source product of Sun. Read more at www.apple.com/server/macosx/snowleopard/.
Sites to see
LEGO lovers should check out LUGNET, the international, fan-created LEGO users Group Network site at www.lugnet.com/. The site showcases some of the finest LEGO-based sites from fans around the world.
E-mail me at email@example.com; fax me at (859) 236-9566; or write me snail-mail at The Advocate-Messenger, P.O. Box 149, Danville, KY 40423-0149.