The Danville schools opened doors this morning with an enrollment at 280 pupils - 149 boys and 131 girls - the largest for an opening day of any previous session. Elizabeth Shumate, daughter of F.M. Shumate of Danville, has been added to the faculty. When the new addition, now under construction, has been completed, it will add materially to the comfort and convenience of the building. Steam heat and other modern, up-to-date innovations have been added. Dr. Oscar B. Fallis is principal.
More than 500 people attended opening night of the Danville Skating Rink. Many of the skaters have been practicing daily for the opening. New music has been secured. Most of the time a brass band will be in attendance.
75 YEARS AGO - 1933
Someone attempting to ease his conscience returned money taken three years ago from the Danville High School cafeteria. Three $5 bills were sent to the school in an envelope postmarked in Lexington. Principal J.D. Williams said the money was the only thing in the envelope and said that $15 and several hams were stolen shortly after the opening of school three years ago. He wondered if the hams would arrive in the next few days.
J. Sterling Towles, former co-publisher of The Messenger and Democratic nominee for state representative from Boyle County, was named chairman of the Boyle National Recovery Administration by the local Chamber of Commerce. He replaced S.H. Nichols.
A cloudburst in Mercer County washed out six bridges and forced residents to flee as rivers rose over banks in Northern Mercer County. Damage was estimated at more than $20,000. More than six inches of rain fell and also damaged tobacco and other crops.
The fact that the captain of the Centre College Colonels still leads in prayer before each game was featured in the grid iron gossip section of the 1933 Illustrated Football Annual. The magazine, which is read by fans all over the country, also carries Centre's complete schedule for the year as well as photos of Elmer Hendren, fleet Colonel half back, and Edwin Kubale, head coach.
50 YEARS AGO - 1958
A moonshine still with a capacity of nine gallons per day on Hogue Hollow Road near Alum Springs was destroyed by a group of law enforcement officers including Sheriff Howard Overstreet, Deputy Oscar Vest, Junction City Police Chief Carmi Lockhart and a state alcoholic beverage control officer. The officers confiscated three 55-gallon fermenters, one 55-gallon steel drum still, and one 55-gallon steel drum cooker. No arrests were made.
James B. Preston of Danville and George King Pruitt of Lebanon have purchased the Thurman Funeral Home, 448 West Main St., from Virginia H. Thurman. The funeral home has been in operation for the past six years and will be known as the Thurman, Preston & Pruitt Funeral Home. It will continue to be operated at the same location, under similar policies and same service. Preston and Pruitt have been associated with the funeral home business in the past.
25 YEARS AGO - 1983
Seven people are seeking four seats on the Danville City Commission - Ruby Ann Gaskin, John Forsyth, George Cunningham, John Bowling, Andy Bryant, Neal Gordon and Marvin Swann Jr. One candidate, Harold McKinney, administrator of the West Bluegrass District Health Department, pulled out of the race because of possible conflict between the two offices.
A Danville couple, Bruce and Rae Crowley, followed their kids' example and took to running. Three of the Crowleys' five children participate in track and cross country at Danville High School. After helping as assistants, the couple decided to start running. They run about three miles and run in local races in Danville and Lexington.