I know the one word you're thinking is WHAT? But it's true. Duct tape purses are very trendy, fun, and cool. Making duct tape purses is a hobby Micayla Kelly enjoys.
Fun Funky Fashion
Who would have thought that duct tape and garbage bags could someday be the new fashion for purses? Well, Micayla Kelly says that all you need is some duct tape and 8 by 71/2 inches of a rectangular garbage bag.
To put your own individual stamp on the purse, there are different colors of duct tape like pink, green, black, gray, purple, red, orange, yellow, blue, white, EVEN CAMOUFLAGE!
This funky, fashionable purse is a great accessory for school to carry your books, lunch, or maybe even your pencils, erasers, and all sorts of stuff. It's so popular, that even people her parents work with want to buy them. Kelly charges three dollars for one purse. She also manages to sell them at yard sales!
Happily a Hobby
"I have been making them for months. I just can't stop making them!" Micayla says.
She makes these unique purses continuously for her friends and family because it's fun for her to make other people happy. Micayla learned how to make the purses at FC (Florida College) Ohio Camp. The counselor at the camp taught her.
"Once you start making them, you just can't stop," Micayla says.
She finds the purses very easy and fun to make, so she makes them often.
Fashion 4 Friends
These purses have been getting more popular ever since Micayla started carrying them around school. She has had many orders for purses from friends.
"Just recently, I have had about 9-10 orders for purses from friends at school," Micayla says with a smile. "It's just too much!"
With her busy schedule, she hardly has time to make all of them.
"It's really easy, though. All you need is duct tape, a garbage bag, and scissors."
You REALLY should try making these purses yourself! If you wish to have the coolest purse in school, just follow the directions to make it. It is worth it!
* * *
How to make a duct tape purse
* Cut a piece of garbage bag with a length of 16 inches and a width of 7-1/2 inches. (You can change the size. The size given makes a small purse.)
* Take strips of colored duct tape (which you can get at Wal-Mart) and put them in vertical stripes on the garbage bag. When your garbage bag is completely covered on one side, fold it in half. You should now have a square with both sides covered with duct tape.
* Tape up the sides of the purse to seal it closed.
* Next, take two long pieces of duct tape and tape them together. (These will make the
* Cut the large piece of tape to make them skinny and tape them on the inside of the purse.